Quarantine Adventure Design Contest - The Random Generator

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
So here is my submission for the contest.
It's good to finally have some time to look at these things! I see I was operating on a similar wavelength to you with the flying jellyfish and modded-gibbering mouther and packs of weird primates!
This was a good read; lots of creative stuff (particularly items) and useful moving parts like the competing adventuring parties and tribes.
Sweet maps! CC3?

The1True

I almost went blind looking at my damned computer.
Yep, definitely time to take a break for a bit.
Nice 'funhouse' dungeon. Lots of interactivity. Cool monsters to fight. Strong themes of medieval mysticism. Good stuff!
There are some extremely strong enemies in there. Inexperienced players would be in for a hard time if they tried to fight everything!

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Wow. Three very solid entries! (Grutzi ain't gonna walk away with this prize without a fight.)

Maps, illustrations, layout all look great. Can't wait to dig in deeper.

Outstanding!

TerribleSorcery

Should be playing D&D instead
90 pages?!?!?! Fuck me man, you went all out. I love the cover design, actually looks note-perfect. Might take me a while to digest this but I'm impressed that you covered so much ground!

There are some extremely strong enemies in there. Inexperienced players would be in for a hard time if they tried to fight everything!
There's no cryin' in baseball, or D&D.

Grützi

Nice entries so far :)

And man ... 90 pages ... tell you what: I read the first 6 pages and judge based on that? deal? no? ... aw man... 90 pages dude... I've got kids that want to see me from time to time you know :p

Looking through the Gilded Dream right now and loving it... gotta throw it at my group one of these days ;)

And sad news but my entry won't be finished in time. :(
Couple of reasons for that: Some real life stuff came up and kept me busy, my time management skills are shit it seems and so on...
There also was some dude, name starting with M or something, kept pestering me all the time ... :p

I promise to get it done these days and release it, just won't make it in time for the contest.
Though I consulted on my wife's entry which she will hopfully finish in the next few hours.
Go Rabenwonne go! :)

I would still like to judge the entries together with DP and Malrex if that is still on the table... don't really know if anything was ever decided there :)

Last edited:

Grützi

Allrighty then.
Malrex you down to judge this shitsho... ahem ... this exquisite display of superior craftsmanship? :p

DangerousPuhson

If anyone has anything that's like 90% finished and wants to submit, feel free to put your work up for judging sometime within the next week.

This stuff is going to take a while to get through. I was not expecting such "hearty"entries. I mean, it's awesome, just a lot to digest.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Allrighty then.
Malrex you down to judge this shitsho... ahem ... this exquisite display of superior craftsmanship? :p
Yep. All looks really impressive!
I can judge and give my vote.

Are we doing comments and doing an actual review of each for good or ill with people willing to take constructive criticism??.....or just a simple, no explanation vote?

Beoric

Wow. Three very solid entries! (Grutzi ain't gonna walk away with this prize without a fight.)

Maps, illustrations, layout all look great. Can't wait to dig in deeper.

Outstanding!
Wait, which is the third you were speaking of? You posted this before Rabenwonne's entry, and other than that all I see is the entries from The1True and TerribleSorcerey.

TerribleSorcery

Wait, which is the third you were speaking of? You posted this before Rabenwonne's entry, and other than that all I see is the entries from The1True and TerribleSorcerey.
Malrex posted his quite a while ago.

Yep. All looks really impressive!
I can judge and give my vote.

Are we doing comments and doing an actual review of each for good or ill with people willing to take constructive criticism??.....or just a simple, no explanation vote?
It'd be better to have comments and feedback I think.

The1True

Hey Rabenwonne, at first glance I must say: really great layout and artwork on this one! I can see I definitely fell behind with my 'scanned graph paper' method.
Your maps are great Sorcery, but the non-photo blue of your graph paper got lost in the scan. For a while I thought I was looking at freehand maps!

TerribleSorcery

Your maps are great Sorcery, but the non-photo blue of your graph paper got lost in the scan. For a while I thought I was looking at freehand maps!
Thank you for saying so. My hands just shake a bit and the lines look all squiggly! Something to work on next time.

Although it does get washed out a bit in the scanner, I actually blasted the graph paper lines out intentionally, I didn't like the look of the blue lines at all. I think it is still pretty comprehensible with the little squares for scale eh?

You can see the lines still remain in the drawing of "8 - ocean room" because that had blue coloured pencils in it so I couldn't get rid of the lines without killing all the colour!

squeen

I'm not a judge, but is it OK if I just give some feedback? I was thinking of breaking it up in some categories like layout, illustrations, maps, and some content subcategories (creativity, descriptive anguage, terseness, etc.).

These contest submissions are truly at a whole other level. Well done all.

The1True

I guess this is a proof of concept for what I've been trying to do at GTC (I've got another one just like it that was 3/4 done when we started this contest) so if it sucks I need to know... That said, keeping the abuse constructive and friendly seems like a good idea?