2e - why you think it sucks, and why you're right

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead
But if they are techniques that are no longer available...that are any good...they would be...dare I say it...more...advanced...?
Not if you understand the definition of "advanced", no.
Is whitebox OD&D more "advanced" than 5e? No? Then... you are... dare I say it.... more... wrong?

Also, no, I don't love trolling - I'm the lightning rod for forum controversy because I dare to question everyone's undying love of antiquated (note: not the same as "advanced") systems, and tout the modernity you all shun. It's not my fault you guys mistake someone who holds a differing opinion and sticks to their guns as a "troll".
Abrasive, yes. Controversial, yes. Opinionated, yes. Troll, no.

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Not if you understand the definition of "advanced", no.
Is whitebox OD&D more "advanced" than 5e? No? Then... you are... dare I say it.... more... wrong?
It's like you think this is a point that you have just made, I have trouble discerning whether you are serious or not which is why I carefully assume you are a troll. You make the distinction of 'advanced' yourself by pointing out that a Lost Age civilization is the optimum solution but not the only one and you bring up Water Clocks, which are interesting but specifically inferior to modern clocks, to make that distinction. You double it up with a Clarke quote. Now you double back on a different definition to make your point again. Do you really want me to pick through the exact quotes and fuck you into the dirt again?

Also, no, I don't love trolling - I'm the lightning rod for forum controversy because I dare to question everyone's undying love of antiquated (note: not the same as "advanced") systems, and tout the modernity you all shun. It's not my fault you guys mistake someone who holds a differing opinion and sticks to their guns as a "troll".
You are a lightning rod for controversy because of the way you argue your points, i.e. poorly and incoherently and with great vehemence, not the fact you argue them. Notice the spectra of different opinions about just about anything generating lively discussion. I think you have some sort of strange value because you are energetic and throwing a wrench out there can have value but in general I'd say you have trouble interpreting people's points properly and immense trouble admitting when you make a mistake.

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Ah fuck I'll be a bit more charitable and assume you genuinely don't follow. Kickstarter High is too good.

Okay. So your/Grützi's examples of light and magic spells are actually pretty good as treasure but they are prime examples of more 'advanced' techniques. Magic missiles as a cantrip, more complex light spells etc. etc. These are methods to manipulate something that is most certainly NOT trivial, i.e. magic, in a way that wizards today can't. You can probably get away with one or two distant secrets of antiquity like that if you make your dungeon digs more Indiana Jones like and assume they were very skilled in one or two areas but if you do more then one dungeon crawl you are going to have to have to come up with a lot of 'Lost Secrets' until they eventually add up to a more advanced civilization in all but name. There's some wriggling but eventually you need a situation where the places you go into have significant perils and can furnish rewards in a way that simple industry or trade cannot.

And this is @Grützi making your points for you.

DangerousPuhson

Here's your problem Prince - you base all your arguments on the predication that your are automatically correct, and by the transitive property, everything on which you've based your arguments are therefore also correct by default. You make statements with nothing to back them up but presumptions. When those presumptions are questioned, you attack the semantics of the counterpoint and claim victory (or misunderstanding). Then you pile on with the ad-hominem personal attacks about being a troll or being incoherent.

Here's the fucking definition of the word "advanced", literally:
Advanced - /ədˈvanst/ : Far on or ahead in development or progress. New and not yet generally accepted.

Now, let me hold your hand here because understanding me is clearly giving you some difficulty. Do you see how your statement - "But if they are techniques that are no longer available...that are any good...they would be...dare I say it...more...advanced...? " does not, in fact, correspond to what the word "advanced" means? Are you going to claim the dictionary is trolling you next?

The original complaint was, specifically, that 2e adventures sucked and one of those reasons was that in said modules magic was often treated as a commodity akin to modern technology, bleached of wonder. You clearly don't disagree.
Then you didn't read what I was writing, and I suspect that short of forcing you to undergo the Ludovico Technique to read this stuff, you'll just continue to just skim my posts for nitpicky, inconsequential shit you can point at to feel smarter than me.

If you had read, you'd know by now that I claim that "bleached wonder magic" doesn't kill an adventure because 1) it's not as jarring to the players as you'd think (they're not going to ask about the streetlamps), and 2) that there are other ways to generate wonder around magic, even when it's commonplace everywhere else (lost tech). Those were my points - is that too hard for you to understand, or am I just being incoherent?

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I think if an older civilization knew something better & non-reproducible about technique X, then one would commonly say,
"They were more advanced in the art of X".

DangerousPuhson

Nobody said anything about lost tech being better, only different. And even then, they'd only be considered "advanced" in comparison to their peers and past selves; that's always been the historical context of calling a dead civilization "advanced".

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Here's your problem Prince - you base all your arguments on the predication that your are automatically correct, and by the transitive property, everything on which you've based your arguments are therefore also correct by default. You make statements with nothing to back them up but presumptions. When those presumptions are questioned, you attack the semantics of the counterpoint and claim victory (or misunderstanding). Then you pile on with the ad-hominem personal attacks about being a troll or being incoherent.
Example or gtfo.

Here's the fucking definition of the word "advanced", literally:
Advanced - /ədˈvanst/ : Far on or ahead in development or progress. New and not yet generally accepted.
So an old technique can be more advanced then a new technique from a less developed society yes? Their exact position in time is not a factor in determining their advanced nature. You understand that the sewer systems in Rome were better then medieval latrines.

If you had read, you'd know by now that I claim that "bleached wonder magic" doesn't kill an adventure because 1) it's not as jarring to the players as you'd think (they're not going to ask about the streetlamps), and 2) that there are other ways to generate wonder around magic, even when it's commonplace everywhere else (lost tech). Those were my points - is that too hard for you to understand, or am I just being incoherent?
Your point ignores the point already made; That a single instance of magic lamp city might not matter but a systematic treatment of magic as commonplace shit does, which is why the rest was not worth addressing. 2 I don't disagree with now or previously.

The original complaint was "with magic at everyone's disposal, there's no wonder surrounding it anymore", and my retort was "magic can still be wondrous, even if you just tweak what's already there and put it in a wondrous context - you just need to make the wondrous notably distinct from the everyday mundane", which is basically backed-up by what you just said about containing techniques lost to us and regaining knowledge we don't have anymore.
And I pointed out, correctly, its the common availability and banality that's the problem, not only that its prevalent. It's why I can see the value in something like Ebberon. Am I the only one that you can't reach common understanding with? No because you are a lightning rod because of your "modernist ways".

Last edited:

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Nobody said anything about lost tech being better, only different. And even then, they'd only be considered "advanced" in comparison to their peers and past selves; that's always been the historical context of calling a dead civilization "advanced".
And now we are switching back to historical context instead of a literal definition. That's an example of incoherence, or shifting your goalposts. Argue the initial point. Do you think its preferable they have interesting magic shit that is better then the stuff you buy in the store or don't you?

DangerousPuhson

Example or gtfo.
From within the exact same post:
And I pointed out, correctly, its the common availability and banality that's the problem, not only that its prevalent.
Where's your proof of that statement? How do you know that the common availability/banality of magic is the problem? Did you poll every single person who didn't buy into 2e? Did you talk to a old TSR staff and ask "hey, why did 2e do so poorly?"

No, you assumed a conclusion based on the presumption you hold that 2e's problem was its common magic. You then took that assumption and used it to justify subsequent points you've made in the thread.

*Cue Prince telling me why that doesn't count*

DangerousPuhson

That's an example of incoherence, or shifting your goalposts. Argue the initial point. Do you think its preferable they have interesting magic shit that is better then the stuff you buy in the store or don't you?
In a supremely ironic twist, you have shifted your own goalposts away from your initial point of
Fan. Cut my teeth on it. By the end there was no recourse but to kill it since it was a splatbookey mess but 2e did a lot of good things. I'd say 2e over 1e. I mean who uses those Weapons vs AC tables *scoff*
and towards the semantics of my specific comments about magic. You've shifted your goalposts so much that you went from loving 2e to hating it over the course of this discussion! I doubt you'd ever admit what you've done though... You'll just find some new attack vector against me, probably by pointing out how something I wrote a month ago doesn't match up with something I wrote today and so therefore I'm a troll.

Do you even know what the initial point of this thread was?
So yeah, everyone agrees that 2nd edition sucked, right? Or are there 2nd edition shippers out there that just aren't as visible as the 1e/5e lovers?
Yeah, I'm the one guy who shifted the goalposts. /sarcasm

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
*Cue Prince telling me why that doesn't count*
Prediction of your opponent doesn't work rhetorically if you predict you are going to lose DP.

Initial Quote (note open question):

What I want to know is why 2e modules were so fucking horrible (excl. B. Cordell). Railroadery? Yes. Boring? Yes. There was also something about 2e Reinassance Faire D&D that made it all feel like a theme park. Lamps with continual light. Magic item shops. Effects explained in terms of crunch and magic spells. It didn't feel shall we say...fantastical?
Expansion with example to underly reasoning. Note use of the phrase "for me." indicating personal opinion.

Grimdark is one side of the coin, like LOW fantasy, but it doesn't work with High fantasy with a capitol H either which is the other side, with magic item shoppes in the middle. In high fantasy everything is mythic and powerful and mysterious and the problem with streets lit by continual light and magic item shoppes is that it takes something wonderful, magic, and turns it into something mundane and everyday. I would accept it if you include it into some sort of super-magic hyper-civilization where it would only make sense but there's something about having a magic item shoppe in an otherwise mundane medieval village that takes away from the quality of the adventure from me. What if instead of shoppes they were vending machines that you could just put your gemstones in and they would dispense magic+1 swords? I'm cool with visiting some dwarves or wizards and getting yourself a mythril platemail forged if you kill the Dragon that destroyed their old city but there's something about the banality of buying magic items that strips them of wonder.
Expansion/Refinement of initial statement, noting point well made.

Totally (and also Ebberon I think, which I didn't hate, though Goodman's Morningstar was a better take on the same concept). But can you see how having a situation where A) magic is commonplace in a really boring way where you and your opponents use the same magic system B) that magic system is so familiar and predictable it is used for common household applications and C) monsters are so commonplace cities have standardized countermeasures against them D) adventurers are not pioneers and renegades but all part of a mercantile guild with rules etc. etc. etc. leads to a game that has less magic and mystery in it? I bring up magic item shoppes and continual light streets because it is an emblematic example of a way of treating the supernatural as commonplace and mundane in a campaign setting. There's no reason you can't compensate for this in other areas, as you have pointed out.
Request for elaboration after unqualified claim.

The two are distinct. One means its all curiosities (i.e. distinct). The other affects gameplay (i.e. lost technology). One works better then the other, as the default. You can say both versions work but you gotta show how.
Clarification.

The original complaint was, specifically, that 2e adventures sucked and one of those reasons was that in said modules magic was often treated as a commodity akin to modern technology, bleached of wonder. You clearly don't disagree.
Oh sorry I couldn't see any example of any of your empty claims in this but I've gathered them all together so it should be easy for you to showcase where I messed up.

In a supremely ironic twist, you have shifted your own goalposts away from your initial point of
'No it is you that hath shifted." I pointed out you went from literal definition to historical context in one post.

You've shifted your goalposts so much that you went from loving 2e to hating it over the course of this discussion! I doubt you'd ever admit what you've done though... You'll just find some new attack vector against me, probably by pointing out how something I wrote a month ago doesn't match up with something I wrote today and so therefore I'm a troll.
It doesn't take nearly as much effort as that. I love 2e. I pointed out I love it, I love Dark Sun. I said many of the adventures sucked DP. You'd know that if you read. I'll quote it again I don't mind.

What I want to know is why 2e modules were so fucking horrible (excl. B. Cordell). Railroadery? Yes. Boring? Yes. There was also something about 2e Reinassance Faire D&D that made it all feel like a theme park. Lamps with continual light. Magic item shops. Effects explained in terms of crunch and magic spells. It didn't feel shall we say...fantastical?
See. I even reprimanded @squeen for bashing Dark Sun (playfully, have your own opinion, I don't care).

Do you even know what the initial point of this thread was?
Psssst. DP. The term is satire, riffing off your post. There's people here that love 2e and people that don't. They are discussing why and why not.

Yeah, I'm the one guy who shifted the goalposts. /sarcasm
Well shucks. An entirely baseless claim. Your move darling. Feel free to point to anything I have gathered. I've compiled it nice and easy.

Where's your proof of that statement? How do you know that the common availability/banality of magic is the problem? Did you poll every single person who didn't buy into 2e? Did you talk to a old TSR staff and ask "hey, why did 2e do so poorly?"
Again, you just don't have reading comprehension. I was correct in pointing out the initial point was other then you presented it to be.

What title do you want? I am considering Village Idiot but Lightning Rod of Controversy might be more fitting.

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

You left out about 6 pages (half the thread) of prior posts, very conveniently.
What title do you want? I am considering Village Idiot but Lightning Rod of Controversy might be more fitting.
How about "yet another guy about to bail on the OSR community because it's too toxic"? It's a pretty long accolade, but I know I'll be sharing it with a long list of people, especially when guys like you are given moderator reins

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
You left out about 6 pages (half the thread) of prior posts, very conveniently.
Listen dude. The problem we have with our interaction is that you are used to just saying some vague bullshit and people letting it go because they don't think its worth the hassle. I don't do that. That's why this shit follows the same pattern like clockwork, every time.

How about "yet another guy about to bail on the OSR community because it's too toxic"? It's a pretty long accolade, but I know I'll be sharing it with a long list of people, especially when guys like you are given moderator reins
DP, the problem isn't the community, it's how you interact and treat people. If you feel like you gotta fuck off I won't stop you. If you wanna hang around, that's fine with me, but you can't keep pulling this shit and expecting different results.

squeen

Don't take it too hard DP. Prince is just drunk of Kickstarter funding juice. On any other day, I'd like to think he'd have more self-restraint.

When I was a moderator, in the early days of the internet (and modem BBS), the hard and fast rule was "No Personal Attacks". That's what got your posts deleted and/or a user banned.

Might be a good idea to return to those antiquated standards of civility.

It's where I try to draw the line.

DangerousPuhson

DP, the problem isn't the community, it's how you interact and treat people.
How I interact and treat people? You realize that just TODAY, ON THIS SINGLE PAGE you've called me a troll, a village idiot, said I can't comprehend what I read, that I can't admit a mistake, that I argue poorly, that I'm incoherent, that I shift goalposts, that all my points are 'vague bullshit', and threatened to "fuck me into the dirt"...

Fuck man, accept part of the blame for ONCE in your life.

@squeen Folks like you are the reason I'm still around. My problem is only with a few specific members of this forum who I think live to jump down my throat. While Prince likes to say I've alienated the whole community, if you pay attention you might notice it's always a small group of the same people giving me grief.

Last edited:

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Civility is good, but I'm trying to figure out where this corner of the early internet was with no personal attacks! My experience with mid-90s internet was...different.

But there is one hard and fast rule of the internet - few people will extend to you what you do not extend to them. And yet, few people who want 3rd party data before they'll accept an opinion different from their own, think they need to provide 3rd party supporting data when giving their own opinion.

This doesn't really work. Not that it's intended to work. The purpose is to disqualify an opinion the hearer doesn't like, rather than insist on a standard which would prevent most of their posts.

Beoric

Ah, look at the boys over there, wrasslin' in the yard! Takes me back, that does, takes me back.

I feel like if all of us played together, we would have a good time.
Everything got better (except 4e. fuck you 4e (apologies to that one 4e guy here)).
It is my fondest wish that someday I will have enough time to run a short 4e game for you guys, if only to shut you all the fuck up.:p

It's kind of a faint hope, since I can't seem to find time to run anything for my own players.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I honestly don't know what you guys are arguing about at this point.

It has otherwise been a delightful discussion as always!

squeen

Civility is good, but I'm trying to figure out where this corner of the early internet was with no personal attacks! My experience with mid-90s internet was...different.
The early BBS (mid 80's) dial-up chat rooms, before the AOL induced Eternal September.

Also I was made a moderator on Nekochan.net (SGI IRIX geeks hub, 2001-ish), that was the rule there too.

But your point is valid. If you come out swinging, others will punch back. All you can do is turn the other cheek, and wait until tempers cool down. After we make our point we're done---sometimes it falls on deaf ears. Oh well. Try again later or drop it. I know you know that.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
It is my fondest wish that someday I will have enough time to run a short 4e game for you guys, if only to shut you all the fuck up.
yeah sorry man, 4e ran over my dog and stole my girlfriend.