Quarantine Adventure Design Contest - The Random Generator

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
The last sentence could use a little work though..focus on the breaking of the silence...I feel like something is missing to change it from 'trying to hard' to 'nailing it'.
And I LOVE the fact that there isnt a dangerous mold or slime....keep people on their toes. Are the mushrooms edible or dangerous?
@Malrex : You are still The Man --- even trashed. (Don't blow all your Kickstarter funds on booze and wild women!)

You are correct as usual, it DOES need something --- the rest of the adventure re-written! I think you are anticipating/sensing the action that waits.
But not yet, my friend. Not yet. The empty/silent spaces make the crescendo that much louder. The players know they in the Eye of the Storm. All is calm for the moment. Let the tension build.

------

With regards to the mushrooms...it's what I posted to EOTB about (many moons ago) over in the Illusions thread. There is "the spiel" (as my players now call it) that sets the table. They are so used to me doing it, they walk right past the "skeletons hanging from the walls"...until it's too late (and they start hacking them to bits). These are just normal forest mushrooms. They are not there because they are "important for the players", they are there because when I visualize the space, that's what's I see.

But something is watching.

Last edited:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Alright...I'm not 100% pleased with it, and I know I have more time...but I just can't spend any more time on it. Got waaaayyy too much going on. So here is my submission for the contest. I might of went overboard with the hyperlinks, but I could see how that tool could sway me to use a laptop during play.

Congealed Witch-Doctor is a Blathering Bastard!

I'll probably post it on my blog between Sept 1st and Sept 10th, but for all you loyal forum people....you get it now.

Hopefully others have submissions soon for the contest!!

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Malrex! This is delightful --- you made my day. I love the cartoons. D&D needs more of that lite-heartedness. I am going to sit down and read it through tonight.

("squeenalicious"?!?)

Last edited:

Malrex

("squeenalicious"?!?)
I could say it's all random what those things blabber about...but I thought it might be funny (for me anyways) to add that...I'm tickled you found it! lol.

I used Sketch Camera for the cover--its an app. You can take pictures and it turns it into black and white drawings and other effects. I think what I used was oil canvas or something, but sorta a neat app. Especially if you can find some cool wilderness areas and change it up.

Also, on Dragonsfoot, this guy brought this to my attention. I haven't used it yet, but looks like you can combine photos and do some interesting stuff with it. https://www.artbreeder.com/ He had some good examples of what looked like drawings and its all creative license so public domain stuff. I would of messed with it if I had more time.

TerribleSorcery

Should be playing D&D instead
Man I am stoked for this contest. We're a week away from the due date, just wondering: who else is on track to have their submission in?

EDIT: I'm asking because I'm excited and I am feeling that last-minute crunch of trying to get everything done. I'm really stoked on this dungeon, I think it might be one of the most fun I've ever worked on. I'm not trying to 'supervise' anyone.

Last edited:

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
We're a week away from the due date, just wondering: who else is on track to have their submission in?
I bit off more than I can chew (my fellow GTC'ers will be nodding their heads/rolling their eyes right about now).
On the upside, the trip to England got cancelled (for fairly obvious reasons I guess. -Refreshing to know the famously rational and progressive northern Europeans can occasionally be just as boneheaded as the rest of us, eh) so I've got all this vacation time to put even more detail into everything but the central components of the adventure... :\

DangerousPuhson

Voting is more of a "which is your favorite?" rather than "Here's why this adventure deserves a score of 9..."

That being said, we could still present a "Reader's Choice" consolation award or something which used the voting system.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
I'm just thinking about the hard feelings coming off of previous contests mainly... As entertaining as a Bryce-style beat-down can be for the peanut gallery, we're trying to encourage each other to write more here. At least I assume that's the purpose of this exercise?...

Malrex

Voting is more of a "which is your favorite?" rather than "Here's why this adventure deserves a score of 9..."

That being said, we could still present a "Reader's Choice" consolation award or something which used the voting system.
I think that might be cool...having a vote function for Reader's Choice...that everyone could participate in. This could be more of the ideas involved in the write-up.
Then the judges could do the 'beat down' not for entertainment, but to help people for improvement. This could be more of the way it's presented/layout/etc.

Potentially 2 winners.

Rabenwonne

A FreshHell to Contend With
Hi guys, would there be any way to add a week to our deadline?
I would love getting my adventure done, but right now I just can't see me do it in the given time. 🤪

DangerousPuhson

In the interests of encouraging more entrants, as well as the spirit of all this just being for funsies, I will agree to extend the deadline until MONDAY SEPTEMBER 7, provided my fellow judges have no issues with that.

Malrex

I say NO....since mine has been turned in...and cause I'm mean and heartless....I've been working my ass off over here trying to distract Grutzi from his own submission ALL THIS week, spilling ideas for underwater adventures and whatnot....and now I see all my work being unraveled???!!! Plus, my city is surrounded by fires...AGAIN, for the third god damn time...and there is a pandemic and I almost got stung by a murder hornet the other day and there is blackouts in my city, and I'm trying to run a Kickstarter, AND.....*goes on a tirade for several more hours*

I mean...I could be talked into it if someone wants to submit theirs for Footprints Issue #25 (and it's appropriate, i.e. no swearing stick figures) and nowhere else and doesn't necessarily have to be the winner. That might sit with me better maybe to extend this Glorious Contest for a few more days to provide more content for the masses....

Yes, I guess it's ok.

DangerousPuhson

I mean...I could be talked into it if someone wants to submit theirs for Footprints Issue #25 (and it's appropriate, i.e. no swearing stick figures) and nowhere else and doesn't necessarily have to be the winner.
No no no, that's not how you generate submissions... let me show you how it's done. *ahem*

HEY EVERYONE, GET THIS AMAZING NEWS! THE STAKES JUST EXPLODED OFF THE CHARTS!
A NEW DEVELOPMENT JUST IN:

ONE LUCKY FINALIST OF THIS CONTEST WILL HAVE THEIR WINNING ENTRY PUBLISHED IN THE ACCLAIMED* OSR PUBLICATION
FOOTPRINTS MAGAZINE
AS PART OF THEIR SPECIAL
25TH ISSUE CELEBRATION SPECTACULAR!
THAT'S RIGHT, IF YOU WIN, YOU'LL BE FAMOUS**! GET THOSE PENCILS OUT FOLKS, BECAUSE THE DEADLINE FOR CONTEST SUBMISSION IS SEPTEMBER 7TH!
WHO WILL BE THE NEXT OSR MEGA-STAR***? MAYBE
YOU!

Malrex

No no no, that's not how you generate submissions... let me show you how it's done. *ahem*

HEY EVERYONE, GET THIS AMAZING NEWS! THE STAKES JUST EXPLODED OFF THE CHARTS!
A NEW DEVELOPMENT JUST IN:

ONE LUCKY FINALIST OF THIS CONTEST WILL HAVE THEIR WINNING ENTRY PUBLISHED BY ACCLAIMED* OSR PUBLICATION
FOOTPRINTS MAGAZINE
IN THEIR SPECIAL
25TH ISSUE CELEBRATION SPECTACULAR!
THAT'S RIGHT, IF YOU WIN, YOU'LL BE FAMOUS**! GET THOSE PENCILS OUT FOLKS, BECAUSE THE DEADLINE FOR CONTEST SUBMISSION IS SEPTEMBER 7TH! WHO WILL BE THE NEXT OSR MEGA-STAR***? MAYBE YOU!

Yes!!! That's how I meant to say it, I swear!!