The state of Post-OSR content

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Peter Zeihan (one of Bryce's favorite geo-analyist) thinks China is heading for a massive collapse in the next 5-10 years for two reasons: population demographics and Cult of Personality at the top that prevents accurate information from flowing to the bottleneck of decision making.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
It's sad...honestly.

I think back to the war movies like Saving Private Ryan or some of the other goodies. We got trained fighters out there, on a beach, in complete chaos and destruction. Trying to survive and fighting or even just wandering around aimlessly trying to deal and process through all the horrible actions. Tough bastards. Yet, they all--Boomers? Is that the correct term? are all disrespected and instead of tough bastards fighting to survive and win a war and eventually coming back to society with a measure of success....now we got people who get their feelings hurt over the smallest matters. Or who don't like working.

That scares and disappoints me quite a bit.

And can you imagine if there was a lot of destruction done in the US? I guess they would just rebuild Targets and Applebees because that's all they know how to build these days? Driving across the country...it's the same stuff over and over and over again.

Im awaiting the rude awakening...on my mountain. This Gen X is not going to step up for society. Sorry. I refuse to be villainized while trying to help--I've experienced that enough in my 30+ years of my career choice.

You are all welcome on my mountain. Just give me a heads up you are coming so I can disarm the booby traps.

Beoric

I thought the other day; wouldn't it be great if some monolithic AI could do real time fact checking and shut bullshit down or pause it before it spreads. But, I guess even if they could build such a thing and it didn't turn into some dystopian censorbot, crapped up with the biases and predispositions of its creators (like the new Chinese ChatGPT), I guess rogue states would just build their own AI to create and hurl lies at the web at a rate that inevitably overwhelms it anyway.
Of course, the current state of AI is profoundly bad at knowing, or caring, what is true.

Beoric

I think back to the war movies like Saving Private Ryan or some of the other goodies. We got trained fighters out there, on a beach, in complete chaos and destruction. Trying to survive and fighting or even just wandering around aimlessly trying to deal and process through all the horrible actions. Tough bastards. Yet, they all--Boomers? Is that the correct term? are all disrespected and instead of tough bastards fighting to survive and win a war and eventually coming back to society with a measure of success....now we got people who get their feelings hurt over the smallest matters. Or who don't like working.
The Boomers are their kids; less Saving Private Ryan and more The Big Chill and Wall Street. They and their parents played card games, chess, lame board games and maybe wargames.

Im awaiting the rude awakening...on my mountain. This Gen X is not going to step up for society. Sorry. I refuse to be villainized while trying to help--I've experienced that enough in my 30+ years of my career choice.

You are all welcome on my mountain. Just give me a heads up you are coming so I can disarm the booby traps.
Gen X were born circa 1965-1980, and are more 16 Candles, Clerks, and, well, Generation X. Thesee guys probably started out playing OD&D, Basic or AD&D.

Not sure if you mean Millennials, which is circa 1980-1995. Mean Girls and The Social Network. Probably started out playing 3e.

I share your prepper instincts.

squeen

The Boomers were the spoiled generation that benefited from their parents (the GI "Greatest" Gen) saving the world in WWII. When asked to go to Viet Nam they protested. They also were over-stuffed full of rules by the GI's and as a result rebelled against any and all restrictions on their behavior, eternally chasing abstract "freedom". Birth control (the Pill) hit around the same time, so there was a lot of sex and early feminism. They also complained about getting a job and instead degenerated Western Civ and everything about it as hippies---appropriating Black and Native American Culture (e.g. civil rights, rock 'n roll, and naturalism). They started the Culture War and made it "normal" to be atheists. They also brought swearing into mainstream movies and polite company. Generally deadbeats and narcissists that fueled the decadent/stagflation 70's until, in the 80's, they later became super materialistic Yuppies when they finally had some money. The media used to call them the "Me Generation", but they eventually took over everywhere and squashed that, rebranding themselves as great revolutionarys despite overwhleming evidence to the contrairy. They hated Nixon more than Trump and will were by-and-large democrats. Their kids are the Millennials who were fed, whole-hog, a warped liberalism/marxism and (self)hatred of the West and whom started flexing their generational muscle via social media. Now they've reached the yuppie-phase and need houses. These are sweeping and unfair generalizations, of course.

Both Boomers and Millennials were population bulges. The Silent Gen and their kids (Gen X) are the tiny waists in between the tits and the asses.

No. I'm not bitter. It's just how I remember it. My Dad also told me about how the Boomers harassed him and called him names when he flew home on a commercial flight in his uniform---returning from his (draft) tour in Viet Nam. Jerks.

Last edited:

Beoric

I quite like millennials. I don' t find them to be any whinier than anyone else. If anything, I find that my own generation (X) spends more time whining about boomers and millennials, than millennials spend whining about all topics combined. Except maybe housing affordability.

Hemlock

Should be playing D&D instead
I quite like millennials. I don' t find them to be any whinier than anyone else. If anything, I find that my own generation (X) spends more time whining about boomers and millennials, than millennials spend whining about all topics combined. Except maybe housing affordability.
You and Squeen got me curious enough to Google "gen X" to find out whether I'm a member of it.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
People may make some inflammatory statements from time to time, but in the end we all love a great game. Even if some of us think it's going straight to hell, at least it's still here and part of the social discourse. I can tell other adults at social events that I play D&D and it's not a total stigma anymore (and frequently an actual conversation starter), and that's a hell of a thing.

Sorry. too little, too late, but I afk'd in the middle of a message two days ago and I got locked out of finishing it. There's the rest of it...

Anyway, if you can't make it to Malrex' Merciless Mtn or Beoric's Berta Bunker, come on by my stone farmhouse 1 km off the road to nowhere Ont (assuming I escape whatever developing world autocracy I'm living in at the time). We'll all play "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" while the world dies.

squeen

Now that my kids are out of the house, I am thinking I need to start doing this. Are you speaking from personal experience?

Beoric

The trailers don't really capture it, but I'm quite enjoying Delicious In Dungeon so far. For those who don't know, its about an adventuring party that was defeated deep in a megadungeon because they couldn't pack enough supplies. They want to go back in to rescue a comrade, but can't afford the gear or food. So they decide to eat the monsters they kill. On Netflix.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Yeah, it's been pretty hilarious, eh? An ode to every DM who's ever watched an entire party go completely rogue in their carefully crafted campaign world. 😄