Palace of Unquiet Repose

Beek Gwenders

*eyeroll*
Thanks Beek. That's one of my favorite art pieces as well and leans more towards the style I prefer...but was trying to get a little more of a horror vibe with the art. I also like the throne piece (and the Nine and the Wolf....and--ok I like most art).
Going to make some small edits this weekend. Hoping I get some of the proofs soon...taking forever.
I think the art definitely captures a ‘dark/horror’ vibe better than the actual style of art I generally prefer, so in an odd sort of way having something I don’t usually like as much produces the better result 😊 Funny how things work.

This adventure really hits on the same tone as Crypts & Things does, I think it would be one of the best fits I’ve ever seen for that version of D&D.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Lesson learned? Get one out perfect, THEN do conversions?
The LL version was pretty much perfect (a few minor edits here and there). But there is a whole process to try to capture the right vibe for each conversion. DCC 'feels' completely different....some have Referees, some have GMs, some have Judges....the statblocks....some spells dont exist in other rules or called something else, different saving throws, action dice?! Patrons?... etc. I didn't want to slap it together and say it followed this retroclone without really trying to capture the vibe and be correct.

My layout program seems to have gone on the fritz as well...inserting the text into the program made some stuff bold or italics..so had to look for that...and I had to check each and EVERY single bullet point to make sure it was the correct size for all 3 versions because it would keep changing it for whatever reason (and still missed a few in the OSE version (fixed now)). And don't get me started on the page numbers...a 5 min job turned into 2.5 hours.
After this, going to learn a new layout program--Affinity. But Keith Hann helped a bunch with layout editing tips so I learned a bunch which I was very thankful for.

I think overall, glad we did it...made me realize I like the style of OSE, but converting the same adventure over and over has been sucking out my soul. Id prefer to offer different stretch goals, if any, and something mostly to completely finished (writing done) and ready to go for the most part.

I think if COVID wasn't stalling the POD process at DrivethruRPG we would of made the January deadline...who knows, we still got a little time, but I have a feeling I'll need to adjust the gamma/light of the art a bit.

Malrex

Heh, this reminds me of a few conversations at the table I play at, where long discussions about gravity for how fast one would fall, and complex math problems--that really don't belong on a play night...lol.

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Hahaha that was exactly what I hoped it would be :p

As far as I am concerned you may treat this explanation as canon. You aren't allowed to walk on the mercury, though you may swim in it like an imbecile at half speed. If ever Palace receives a revised edition I will incorporate this extremely helpful advice into it posthaste. In the meantime, any scientific purists not wanting to resort to vulgar retconning may assume that the long aeons from the Age of Summer to the Age of Dusk have introduced a hithereto undiscovered form of baryonic decay into all elements from 80 upwards of the periodic table, causing their properties to alter in a fashion that is most convenient for the GM.

Malrex

Thanks for the review EOTB!
I may have some time to throw in a few tweaks, we shall see.
The sand trap--I think our thought process was the sand is like dust and not stable enough to climb up on. Like a dry 'quicksand'. So the characters would fight each other to stay on the stone or basin to survive.
The throne room picture was done by Chris Cold--same guy who did the cover. He is amazing.

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
There can not be that big a difference between LL and OSE right? DAC vs AAC maybe? Both are B/X

For DCC I imagine you convert up to strange dice

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Hey, @PrinceofNothing, which of the versions/rule systems for Palace on Drivethru do you feel best reflects your vision?
As a rule of thumb I'd always go for the original, which was Labyrinth Lord. The OSE conversion is basically a difference in presentation so it doesn't make a huge difference. DCC is a bit trickier, there's spells and abilities that don't quite work the same way, all the creatures are re-statted, there's patron rules! but wherever possible I've tried to keep to the spirit of the original.

Review is up! The Best!
I read it. Very nice. A boost in sales too, which is awesome.

For DCC I imagine you convert up to strange dice
I try not too overuse funky dice as I find them rather gimmicky, but its a bit more involved then that. Power levels are off, class abilities aren't quite the same, some of the conventions of oldschool play like XP, suprise, random encounters, spellcasting etc. are handled differently. The best description of DCC is probably Super Dungeons & Dragons.