Hockey
1645470847371.png

Ice Hockey
1645471009164.png

So that's Hockey (notice (gr)ass)
1645471073987.png

Ice-Hockey

1645471138711.png

Do you understand me you primitive screwheads? Am I getting fucking through to you?

Hockey!
1645471344700.png

Not Hockey!

1645471459547.png

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
It's called ice CREAM not eis you heathens! As in I would like some fucking eis in this piss-temperature Coke please!

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
It's called ice CREAM not eis you heathens! As in I would like some fucking eis in this piss-temperature Coke please!
Phonetically you are on the money but 'eis' is the singular verb form of 'eisen', to demand. You are looking for 'ijs', which is the same word for ice and ice cream, conveniently. We sometimes add the diminuitive -je to the word if we want to indicate a singular ice-cream cone, e.g. 'een ijsje eten.' I would argue that cream is an entirely superfluous second word that can be omitted from the word entirely with no loss of fidelity, try it out!

The1True

I figured the Dutch usage would be close to the German.

Out of curiosity, does Afrikaans sound as appalling to Dutch ears as it does to the rest of us?

Grützi

Should be playing D&D instead
The1True said:
In the rapidly narrowing category of Things We Can Mock, I believe the Boers still make the list, along with Newfies, Kiwis, Floridians and Germans on vacation in Ibiza.
You can actually mock germans on vacation everywhere... I think it's even written somewhere in the Grundgesetz

Only be careful when you mock german cars, german football and the beautiful german language.

Also when me and the family visited the netherlands for vacation my wife warned me that the dutch language might sound strange and funny to my delicate, german ears. Being a gentleman and scholar I dismissed such nonsense right from the start.
Then we crossed the border and I saw an advert on a wall that said: "heerlijk eten voor iedereen" (Fine food for everyone) and my resolve shattered instantly

Last edited:

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Phonetically you are on the money but 'eis' is the singular verb form of 'eisen', to demand. You are looking for 'ijs', which is the same word for ice and ice cream, conveniently. We sometimes add the diminuitive -je to the word if we want to indicate a singular ice-cream cone, e.g. 'een ijsje eten.' I would argue that cream is an entirely superfluous second word that can be omitted from the word entirely with no loss of fidelity, try it out!
That is tremendously imprecise. So if you ask for eis in your Coke, you might get a chilled drink, or you might get an ice cream float?

Also, it's called "field hockey". Because you play it on a field.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Boy that Dutch diet seems to consistently grow tall beautiful women. What's in it besides french fries?

The1True

You can actually mock germans on vacation everywhere... I think it's even written somewhere in the Grundgesetz
My buddy from Köln came back from urlaub in Namibia and I asked him how it was. He said "Great! But full of bloody Germans :\ "
Same deal with my brother who went hiking in Greenland with his buddy from Leipzig. Most deserted place on Earth and the dude kept complaining about all the other Germans on the trail :p

Only be careful when you mock german cars, german football and the beautiful german language.
Also German metal! 🤘 🤘 ...and women (my wife made me add that...) The language ist zu schwer.

The1True

The circle of life: We eat them, they eat us in turn. Much like bears, really. Coincidentally, two of my favourite game meats, even over deer.
My dad ran into a black bear on his back-40 last Fall. Time to get a dog/shotgun.

The1True

Actually, this reminds me of a pet peeve. Why do AD&D bears travel in packs?
Family groups?

Because they're woefully underpowered? I had to go back and soup Old Whitey the bearbear from Irradiated Paradox way WAY up during the playtest.

Pseudoephedrine

Should be playing D&D instead
Actually, this reminds me of a pet peeve. Why do AD&D bears travel in packs?
Black bears more or less do so in real life. In north-central Ontario they'll show up to town dumps en masse to eat the garbage. So long as food's abundant, they seem quite sociable with one another.

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
In the rapidly narrowing category of Things We Can Mock, I believe the Boers still make the list, along with Newfies, Kiwis, Floridians and Germans on vacation in Ibiza.
Curtailing speech requires either moral authority or the ability to exact punishments for noncompliance. Our would be betters have long since forsaken one and are rapidly running out of the other.

Dutch and Russians are the worst things on the Ibiza random encounter table I think, arguably followed by the English. German people are always very polite and soft spoken.

For clarity's sake I should probably state I have an aunt who is South African, and I consider the way our media (Dutch) has ignored their current plight is absolutely indefensible.

That is tremendously imprecise. So if you ask for eis in your Coke, you might get a chilled drink, or you might get an ice cream float?
You can ask for 'een cola met ijs' and because of the ratio of people ordering coke with ice cubes vs the ice cream float (I don't think it is a thing here, or anywhere). In the <1/100 times you actually mean for them to chuck a ball of ice cream into your coca cola in barbarous fashion I think the qualifier 'een cola met een bol ijs erin' should suffice, as the spherical shape again precludes the ice cubes normally used for the hydration of said carbonated beverage. Indeed, the combination is so unlikely you have developed a seperate nomenclature just to describe the occurence, like a rare astrological phenomenon or perhaps some sort of mythological creature.

Also, it's called "field hockey". Because you play it on a field.
Madness!

Last edited: