Me and the DMG

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
When exactly did the AC10 change occur?
With the PHB. I wonder sometimes if the use of an AC 10 wasn't tied to the insertion of "0-level" into the game. There wasn't "0-level" mercenaries in OD&D, was there? So if 1st level was already mathematically tied to AC 9, then a new, lower level was tied to a new, lower AC scale bottom.

I think there are monsters with an AC of 10 in either the Fiend Folio or the MM2, but would have to check to be sure. There are no monsters having an AC of 10 in the MM.

The Heretic

Should be playing D&D instead
With the PHB. I wonder sometimes if the use of an AC 10 wasn't tied to the insertion of "0-level" into the game. There wasn't "0-level" mercenaries in OD&D, was there? So if 1st level was already mathematically tied to AC 9, then a new, lower level was tied to a new, lower AC scale bottom.

I think there are monsters with an AC of 10 in either the Fiend Folio or the MM2, but would have to check to be sure. There are no monsters having an AC of 10 in the MM.
I can think of one in the Fiend Folio. The Tirapheg. One of the stupidest monsters EVAR.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Reposting an old comment from The Mystical Trash Heap that I think is relevant to this thread:

T.Foster said:
The rules aren't systematized - different dice are used, ability scores and other modifiers are applied in different ways, sometimes a high roll is better and other times a low roll is better, etc. - and they're not necessarily consistent with each other (two similar types of effect in two different dungeons (or caused by two different spells or magic items) might require completely different rolls to resolve), and in the published rulebooks they're not really organized except in a sort of stream-of-consciousness way...
In my other work-life, I have written an in-house replacement for the Mathwork's MATLAB/SImulink, in the C programming language. It's been a labor of love since it allow me and my group of co-workers to do things outside-the-box of a canned piece of software who's source-code we do not control---even one as programmable as MATLAB.

It's grown organically over the past 20 years in odd directions, most often in response to our helter-skelter engineering needs for a particular application, in a particular time, given the limits of computer technology during that particular age. It's not complete. But it's solid and broad, having much real-world usage under it's belt.

Looking back at the whole, that continuity of effort has also created more than a few disparate ways of doing/coding things. Some are now dead-ends, superseded by something "better".

In short, it has "character" now, much like AD&D.

Trent continues...
T.Foster said:
AD&D definitely has an "it" factor that other rpgs don't, which is why I'm still thinking and talking about it now while countless other games are just distant memories. I was just packing stuff for my move and came across my boxes of RuneQuest and Traveller stuff. I still have good memories of playing those games, but seeing those books didn't give me even a slight urge to "get back into them" the way that the AD&D books always do. I can't quite grasp it firmly enough to put it into words, but it's definitely there.
T.Foster said:
OK, here's a (probably half-baked) theory I came up with about the "it" of the AD&D books and, by relation, why revisiting them is inspiring in a way that other books aren't:

Because the AD&D rules aren't really systematized and everything in them is "bespoke" and modular, all of it fits exactly with what it was designed for both flavorwise and in terms of possible outcomes, so everything feels tied to the imagined space - nothing ever feels like disconnected math, or like a square peg and a round hole. This makes the imagined scene feel richer and more immediate. This happens in play, but it also happens when reading the books: every time you come across a rule, you imagine a scene in play where that rule applies - whether it's someone being chased by a monster through a dungeon-maze, throwing out food and treasure to try to distract the pursuers, or someone who's fallen overboard in stormy water and has to try to remove their armor before it pulls them under, or someone who's removed their helmet to listen at a door and then been surprised by a monster and has to fight bare-headed, or somebody who's trying to hire henchmen and is trying to decide whether the best way to advertise is to post notices, hire the town crier, employ an agent, or just make the rounds of local taverns.
I added the bold emphasis.

T.Foster said:
The books are filled with literally hundreds (if not thousands) of examples like this - many of the monster, spell, and magic item descriptions include their own little "mini-scenarios" in the form of special case rules - how long do you have to escape or be rescued if you're swallowed whole by various creatures, how fast can a levitating person pull themself along a wall, what happens if you put too many sharp objects inside a bag of holding, etc.

Every one of these little special cases makes you visualize a scene in the game, and makes you (or at least me) think about what you would do in that situation. In that way, just perusing the rulebooks, spotting a few of these little bits, and then imagining the scene around them, is kind of like playing the game.

A more elegant and systematized set of rules is easier to explain and easier to use, but it doesn't have that same immersive feel, and doesn't get your blood pumping. Or something like that...
I think he's close. That's what the 1e DMG does to me too. D&D's 1st-revision with all that play-testing stuffed into its rules.

Yes. It's a disheveled heap, but it inspires (me). Maybe that's why so many "adventures" these days don't work at the table, but are for off-line reading. People are longing for a means (now leeched from the rule books) to get inspired. When I posted about the B/X books feeling like forgeries when they were first published--- that's probably what was lacking. They no longer drew me in, or made me want to start playing. The "stream of consciousness" and "situational" feel was lost. They didn't have Trent's "it" factor.

Wonderfully, Finch's Swords & WIzardy Core (1st-2nd printing*) rulebook does. Why? A single-author voice? A conversational tone that encourages creative/divergent design? I don't know**. But to me, it's lightning-in-a-bottle....and I'm such a sucker for magic.

[* the 3rd printing was reskinned by someone other than FInch and feels airy-fairy and disjointed. Some of the author's passion has clearly been drained.]
[** Apologies to DP, EOTB, & our moderator for ending this post with a puzzled tone. I promise my next one will conclude with an authoritative shout above the battlefield-din of the internet. ;P]

Last edited:

Pseudoephedrine

I think T. Foster is understanding something important there - that a set of rules should serve as a prosthesis that extends the range of imagined options, and inspire anazographesis* in someone looking to run a game - but I think contrasting Runequest or Traveller with the AD&D 1e DMG in that respect, (beyond a personal preference) is mistaken. Traveller in particular is another system that strongly produces those two effects in people (I would argue this is why Traveller is both a perennial favourite and structurally a huge inspiration on other SF RPGs). I don't think the lack of systematicity of the rules of the AD&D 1e DMG really helps or hinders that, but rather the short scenarios or edge-case rulings, regardless of how they are turned into dice rolls, are what's important.

*"anazographesis" is a term from Greek moral psychology whereby one imagines a situation vividly and in such a way that one is inspired to act either to bring it about or avoid it coming about. It is an important faculty of Greek moral education that is existent to some extent in all people but that can be cultivated through training and exposure to art.

squeen

Interesting new word (and concept).

Agreed (and others will too, I'm sure) that having non-systematic or jumbled rules are not a plus for running a game-system. The weird thing, for me, is that it's almost always a secondary consideration.

For example, I liked UNIX despite (because of?) it's jumbled cobbled-together nature that bespoke its history. It has a depth due to it's genesis that I find appealing. I love simple elegance, but I am not turned-off by a certain kind of complexity if it "fits" well with the whole. UNIX has/had* a long-standing philosophy of "small sharp tools that do one job really well".

[* In recent years, within Linux (UNIX's successor), the pressure to make things "easier" for new administrators transitioning from WIndoze has instead caused that guideline to be broken more and more repeatedly. "Centralization" has become the new watch-word, with the bogus by-line of "SECURITY UBER ALLES" as a shield to hide behind. ]

I think Foster's only point about Traveller is that it's rules are more organized/uniform than AD&D.

But what's interesting (as you and Foster say) is what results. That elusive "it" factor that some things have got, and others clearly do not.
Design-by-committee, or trying-to-please-everyone (looking at you Disney Star Wars) leaves an indelible mark too (shallowness?)---one that elicits exactly the opposite response in me.

Oh, yeah. I am ending this post with an authoritative statement, and I don't give a rat's ass what you namby-pamby mamma's boys think about that because my Paladin could kick your paladin's ass any ol' day of the week!

Last edited:

Beoric

It's a disheveled heap, but it inspires (me).
I agree entirely with both parts of this sentence.

But I don't find the 1e DMG inspires because of its mechanics, I think it inspires because of its implied setting. Encounter tables, for instance, or random dungeon generation, inspire me to write things. However I have never known anyone to build an adventure around segment based combat order determination.

And I don't think my assertion is at odds with the quote from Foster. All of those quirky spell and monster descriptions tell you something about how they work in world, and have very few characteristics that are purely mechanical. Those game elements that do have purely mechanical effects tend to be called out for their lack of inspiration (I'm looking at you, +1 sword), and their proliferation in later editions is (IMO) a valid criticism of those later editions.

DangerousPuhson

I think it inspires because of its implied setting. Encounter tables, for instance, or random dungeon generation, inspire me to write things. However I have never known anyone to build an adventure around segment based combat order determination.
Oh man, I connect with that statement on so many levels. You've helped me put my finger on exactly what it was about old-school D&D that captured my attention in my youth - thank you. You're right, I was one of those guys all about the fluff around the game rather than the crunch of things. Origins for owlbears and gelatinous cubes never being "formally" fleshed-out - it really leads the mind to imagine and conceptualize (a big piece of my DM fun).

A paragraph to describe a demi-plane, a sentence to explain a layer of the Abyss; one of the few times I've seen brevity used with a deft touch. I guess the sensible next step for the industry was to make endless splatbooks that take a chapter to explain how moving in outer space works (/sarcastic joke).

their proliferation in later editions is (IMO) a valid criticism of those later editions.
This I MUST point out is the subjectivity addressed before. You cast bad light on later editions for something entirely out of their purview - Magic items can only ever proliferate a game via one of two inputs: 1) an uncreative module author, or 2) the DM. That's it, two sources - if you worry about magic items getting out of hand, those two are literally the only culprits to which blame/responsibility can be assigned. It's not the system. Don't blame the system for the failings of individuals.

Beoric

This I MUST point out is the subjectivity addressed before. You cast bad light on later editions for something entirely out of their purview - Magic items can only ever proliferate a game via one of two inputs: 1) an uncreative module author, or 2) the DM. That's it, two sources - if you worry about magic items getting out of hand, those two are literally the only culprits to which blame/responsibility can be assigned. It's not the system. Don't blame the system for the failings of individuals.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the systems require it, I think it was part of the same mindset that led to consistently crappy modules. I place the blame on the people who designed the items, prestige classes, spells, powers or whatever. I have to run, but I may expand on this later.

squeen

is I MUST point out is the subjectivity addressed before. You cast bad light on later editions for something entirely out of their purview.
I think you may be using the word "subjectivity" in an uncommon way. It always strikes me as a an odd word-choice in the context of what you are saying.

squeen

I guess I don't connect individual perception with your counter-argument. Your point is logical, i.e. that's not a particular edition failing, so it's not fair to hang it on the edition (although, I would argue that's not really what Beoric did, he blamed them for lack of corrective effort), but I don't see how the individual's view of the world gets involved.

I think you just want to say, "your wrong", or "you have an axe to grind", but not "you're being subjective". Strikes me as odd.

Last edited:

DangerousPuhson

My point is that the issue arising comes from a place of personal, anecdotal experience, rather than emerging as a consequence of universality.

For example, take this statement: "The fight is overpowered because my group didn't beat it"...
Is the fight truly, demonstrably overpowered (what I call "objective" or "factual"), or is the statement based on that particular group's specific experience (what I call "subjective" or "opinion")?

Similar statements include:
"Character customizations are encouraging bad habits because I've seen some people get too focused on that and not the game";
"Old systems are superior because they are better at making me feel like I did when I was younger/capture that retro feeling"; and most recently
"Modern systems are flooded with imbalance because my group comes across a lot of +1 magic items"

Last edited:

squeen

Human being are engines of subjectivity. We can't help be be that way. Everything comes through our senses. What we argue about all day and night are what exactly "the facts" are and logic is our slave. I think the notion of "consequence of universality" is, if I dare say it, in the eye-of-the-beholder (no idolatry implied) and probably what the whole debate is about anyway (i.e. you think it's universal and someone disagrees).

Again, I think it is more common for you to just say, "that's anecdotal" (e.g. Beoric's N=1) or "that's a logical fallacy" (i.e. "your wrong") and then try to point out the disconnect. But every time you bring up "subjectivity", I'm always lost.

( This feels like the time when I had to tell my Mother that she had been mispronouncing "jazzuci" her whole life. :) Miss you Ma. )

DangerousPuhson

Just because humans employ subjectivity doesn't mean that objective facts are not a thing.

It's true if I say "the sky is grey" (subjectively, the sky is grey above me now). Conversely, it's true if I say "the sky is blue" (objectively, the default color of the sky during the day when weather is clear is blue, no matter where you are).

It's untrue if I say "the sky is always grey" or "the sky is blue where you are" - it's a subjectivity brought upon everyone as if universal fact. This is what I accuse these blanket statements against editions or character options (or whatever soup-of-the-day outrage) of being - subjective realities applied to condemn the whole.

squeen

Sorry, one small correction of a frequent misquote:

"Character customizations are orthogonal to the game and can cater to our vanity, so I think it's a mistake to emphasize them in the rules. I've seen people get way too focused on that on several occasions. In this case, I believe less is more."

Also
  • I can't correct #2, because IIRC you're the only one to have ever said that.
  • Beroic can speak for himself about the hyperbole of #3.

I will add this --- you protect latter editions like a lioness protecting her cubs.

Yes. There are objective/measurable facts---and determining them is the purview of science: not D&D forums. The whole hobby jabber-jawing is about sharing subjective experiences and opinions of "what is good", or "what works well in adventure design". Science cannot help us there---except maybe with poll statistics...but that's mainly just ensemble-subjectivity.

Most folk are convinced their opinions are facts....and yet we can still learn things from each other.

And no two humans will ever know if they perceive the color "Blue" precisely the same way. Still we manage.

squeen

If you think people incapable of arguing over "the sky is blue where you are", then you've never had teenagers.