Illusions

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Dang! I used the "Perspective Tool" in GIMP (shear transform) to improve the viewing angle some. Now the river goes more "back" and less "up" (to me).

Who knew?!

dragonshead_ford.png

Another funny thing --- the color difference. I had an incandescent light on one side when I snapped the paper-drawing with my phone.
That's why it's brighter on one bank.

Last item of note: I did not use blue anywhere in this picture --- just a scan of a green piece of paper lit by a warm light, and greys. My eye tints the water blue-ish. Weird.

Last edited:

Beoric

Human army (8 units) vs two monster units (60 ogre light infantry, and 20 hill giants), with the latter having a serious terrain advantage.
Can I ask, how large and what type are the human army units, the number and level of officers, and the level of the PCs? In 1e terms, not ACKS terms.

squeen

Here's the stat sheat for the local (Valgard) army plus the vassals (surrounding towns) of the Realm. Some are staying at the Capital to defend --- and I am toying with attacking it on its opposite front now that some of its forces have been lured into a response on the borders.

The ACKS stuff helped me break it into units. I haven't stat'd them separately.

forces.jpg

The "Dozers" are triceratops, pulled from a "Lost World" type valley near the Military Academy/Wild West outpost.

UHP is unit hit-points (ACKS). AC is decending (1e) since I don't really understand the ACKS AC conversion.

A full unit is 120 for infantry, 60 for chalvery. Big stuff (giants, dozers, etc.) much less to make a unit.

Here's the bad guys:

ford.jpg

Does that answer the question?

Last edited:

Two orcs

Officially better than you, according to PoN
Important note is the shock roll and morale roll are different and you only check morale if either:
- the general was slain that round
- you lost a unit and you have less than 1/3 of the original force now

That image has a lovely warm old school feel.

squeen

PC + NPCs in party:
Thief L7
Cleric L6 (effectively 8)
MU L8
F L6
F L5
F L4 (archer-savant NPC)
F L3
Pan-Dimensional Rock Troll L7

The big-ticket magic items---held temporarily (after some long quests and promises) are some home brewed versions of a "Staff of Power" and a "Hammer of Thunderbolts" (w/ belt and gantlets). The later being particularly good against the Giants. But yeah, levels aside, and despite all the caveats/limits/catches I try to place on things, the amassed magic items from a very long-running campaign usually carry the day. Magic's the real resource they horde and manage.

Every spell beyond 1st level the magic-user has was found "in world"---usually in the spellbook of a wizard recently dispatched along with lots of duplicates of ones she already has (and the need for a proper safe-haven/library/tower grows!).

All spells above 2nd-level the cleric has was either found on a scroll or obtained through communication with an emissary of her deity.

The thief tore up the Phase Minotaur with a wand he found in the dungeon that shoots 8d4 magic missiles (and had a "rare" button on it so any class could use it)---sure it only has 4 charges, but that's enough if you save it for a rainy day.

Most magic weapons they get in treasure was being used against them by the bad guys they defeat. Typically, they get things and additionally need to figure out how to use them/unlock their power. Nevertheless, over time, all these odd-ball, one-shot, slightly-flawed, items add up to a lot of firepower.

However, in the mass combat rules, heroes lead the troop but generally only fight other "heroes" in the enemy units --- so EOTB's notion of a single super-hero getting drowned in a mass of enemies if particularly apropos. ACKS does deal with mass-combat spell effects in detail.

@Two orcs Thanks for the kind words about my map-turned-picture. I've put the little illustration "in my book" for now, but my final judgement is that it is too boring and has to be re-done. Still, any images of your campaign world are probably better than none. Drawing is a never-ending time-suck that usually ends in frustration---I try not to indulge (except for maps). Someday, when I retire...

Thanks also for directing me to the ACKS mass combat book. The table I referred to is:
battles.jpg
But, reading through the text that follows, there are a lot more elements that should be in a flowchart (like Shock). I am excited about trying the system out for real with (I anticipate) this little skirmish at Dragonshead Ford.

Last edited:

squeen

A random thought that popped into my head that I want to share: the whole initial portion of the campaign was a slow travel up a river road, towards the Capital. Everything was new and unknown. It was a great time.

The whole River-vibe was/is a powerful thing. You just get that Mark Twain/Huckleberry Finn feeling when you are on or near it.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Beoric

A random thought that popped into my head that I want to share: the whole initial portion of the campaign was a slow travel up a river road, towards the Capital. Everything was new and unknown. It was a great time.

The whole River-vibe was/is a powerful thing. You just get that Mark Twain/Huckleberry Finn feeling when you are on or near it.

I had a riverboat trek that was nothing like that. But one of the PCs was fighting with his in-game mom (an NPC), who was keeping campaign-relevant secrets for character-relevant reasons. I seem to have tapped into something, the player was actually yelling at his "mom" at one point. The emotional payoff when she was finally outed was totally worth it.

There was a chance he could have ended up with different travelling companions, but then it would have been more African Queen than Huckleberry FInn.

DangerousPuhson

Should be playing D&D instead

I've seen a couple "Heart of Darkness" style upriver adventures that piqued my interest, DCO being the most obvious one, and Dyson was doing a series of maps a while back that followed a massive underground river which looked fun.

squeen

DCO came to my mind too --- very different vibe indeed!
Disaster. Humanity at it's worst.

The Heretic

My mind has wander...drunk on Plane Travel. They are up against their first demon (ever) when they lead the realm's army to save the Keep. Going to use the ACKS rules---FINALLY. We'll see how that goes. I am thinking a Balrog (Type VI), just based on the size and fire power the PCs are packing. I'm think that with his teleportation ability and what-not, if I don't totally botch it, we'll see some causalities.
That's an awesome typo.

A type VI demon might be a good start. IIRC their HD seem way too low. What was it, 6+6? They might be a good agent for the Demon Lord, if you ever end up going farther along that route. Not too deadly, like a full demon lord, but certainly enough to give the players pause, and to show that messing with a demon and their talisman could be disastrous.

Two orcs

No but I made a pretty long sketch for a campaign based on the Mekong river, which at certain portions reverse its flow seasonally. Further up would lead further into the ancient collapsed civilization and into greater danger, and with greater supplies the players would establish a sort of fleet and secure safe ports eventually overcoming the seasonality problem by overwintering. Since rivers are central to trade, farming and warfare a lot of petty kingdoms would cluster along the river. With a 1-dimensional map like that tracking progress becomes super easy, the players know instantly when they have pushed beyond where they've gone before.

Two orcs

Regarding the scenario, the Battle Rating (rough army strength) of the two sides is
Human: 45+
Monster: 9.5

So it's not a matter of who wins but rather how many losses they suffer winning.

squeen

Yes. The initial skirmish was mean to just slow the human army down. That pinch-point of the Dragonshead Ford.

Of course, my players surprised me. High level magic (items) to the rescued again!

They sensed the trap-of-attrition and wanted the just use a Gate (hammer-artifact ability) to move the army and completely avoid the conflict.

The NPC General (who helps them lead the army) mentioned that they would then potentially have enemy units at their backs during the upcoming "main" battle to the south and/or have exposed the Capital to a possible invading force (they by-passed).

I got called all sort of "manipulative DM" names by my players in response. Things from having put these giants here just because I wanted to wear them down and/or try out the ACKS combat rules, to it being impossible that the giants could have known they were coming, or have had time to gather their troops (bogus, they were rallying their own army over the past weeks and everyone in the Realm knew it).

To be clear, the plan since inception (2013) was always:
  • the southern army threatening the borderland Keep is intended to isolate the Realm from allies and stop trade---the PC thought this was the main threat despite knowing other "forces" were at work
  • If it lures the bulk of the army south, then the Witch-wraith in the fallen western Watchtower will finally attempt to take the Capital after slowing building her forces and power-base for the past 10 years.
  • Frost Giants, who have been pinned up North since their last major defeat over 50 years ago, will use the opportunity for revenge. Through the drow-agents (Lolth's in this case, not House Eilservs), and some betrayal by their jailers, they could coordinate an attack with the Hill Giants to the east, and Fire Giants to the Northwest.
  • A force of black orc from the south takes the High-Pass to the south east---the one with The Dude/Vampire, Hippy Cultists, mad-scientist w/ Visitor-from-the-Stars, and Lovecraftian Horror in the basement---cutting off help from the Free Coastal Cities Trade Guild.
  • The Doppleganger King/sleeper-agent, who had already weakened the Realms defenses through withdrawal and isolationism, was suppose to then mishandle the last defense and allow the Witch's forces to sack the Capital, and enslave the human population. He has since been exposed by the PCs....so there's a chance.
  • They've also freed the members of the Wizard's Guide from a temporal prison (missing for last 10 years). The Guild was a major defensive counter-measure for the Capital. The King-imposter had also ban wizards and elves from the City (to make it weaker and protect him from discovery). The PC magic-user had been incognito and worring exposure for the past few (real-time) years of playing. It will be a long-time-coming stress relief once the faux King has been disposed of...the Eldest Prince was corrupted (by Lolth---that's Lars/Lareth) but he's dead, and his younger brother is on the side of the PCs.
So how many dominoes start falling now? Starting to feel like End Times.

...or do I let things simmer a bit longer so they can get back to the mega-dungeon, find the Ice Sword in the underwater temple. and slay the dragon, and free the Dwarves (who then rally and attack the Witch from the opposite side)?

That's if the Cloud Giant Sorcerer doesn't imprison them on their way back to the mega-dunegon...

They are already thinking of taking on the Witch-wraith with the army when they return...should she just wait for the attack? She's got a Fenris-like wolf as a terror weapon---it's given them pause, even with an Army. So far (and they passed her Tower only twice in 6 years), they've sneaked around her in fear. But now, having recovered the stolen Weapons of the Gods, they are feeling dangerously bold.

The fun thing is that were always stories floating around about how the legendary founder of the Realm was given a vision-quest to steal these artifacts from the Underworld and used them to beat-back the Giants, save his people, and establish a Kingdom. Silly backstory that leaked out in bits and pieces. More recently, Lolth plotted with Lareth to make them "disappear", while another Enemy had simultaneously worked-over their Dwarf-allies and replaced the current King. The artifact recovery (and King unmasking) has been a major turning point---a repeat of the ancient tale with our players in the limelight (and not even name-level yet!).

All that in a crass GP=XP game.

This kind of post-quest consequences/domain play. It's been generally absent from the D&D narrative.
I feel a bit lost/overwhelmed.

Last edited:

squeen

Another tidbit from yesterday's play session:

I thought I was soooo clever naming the ancient elven wizard-in-chains-in-the-Ethereal, Myrn.

Nope!

Didn't fool anyone with my not-so-subtle re-characterization.

The party are just calling him Merlin.

The Heretic

8+8 by the 1e MM. Still, he may need some help...there's always gating in some friends.
Yeah, I suppose it's a good thing he's not a Horned Devil. Then he'd only have 5+5 Hit Dice.

The weird things you remember...

Pit Fiends have 13 Hit Dice, right?

TerribleSorcery

...or do I let things simmer a bit longer so they can get back to the mega-dungeon, find the Ice Sword in the underwater temple. and slay the dragon, and free the Dwarves (who then rally and attack the Witch from the opposite side)?

This kind of post-quest consequences/domain play. It's been generally absent from the D&D narrative.
I feel a bit lost/overwhelmed.
It seems like there are a lot of balls to juggle at once! In my view, you have to keep things consistent. If the villains had a plan last year, they should stick to it unless they get information that would alter said plan (do you know the methods by which the villains gather intelligence, or communicate with each other?). If the PCs learn the villains' plans, and the villains do that very thing anyway, then your players will trust you're being fair and not just shuffling things on-the-fly to make their lives difficult. At least, that's the hope!

If the villains had planned to attack right now, then let slip the dogs of war. The PCs can choose between going after that dragon or joining in the battle, or maybe trying to do both. Life is filled with choices, and adding time pressure almost always makes things interesting.

Obviously this is very context-dependent. I like to make a big spreadsheet when I have a lot of factions & villains to manage, so I can keep track of their likes & dislikes, attitudes to one another and the PCs, future plans, possible obstacles to those plans, etc.

squeen

It seems like there are a lot of balls to juggle at once! In my view, you have to keep things consistent. If the villains had a plan last year, they should stick to it unless they get information that would alter said plan (do you know the methods by which the villains gather intelligence, or communicate with each other?). If the PCs learn the villains' plans, and the villains do that very thing anyway, then your players will trust you're being fair and not just shuffling things on-the-fly to make their lives difficult. At least, that's the hope!
That is an excellent point. Follow through and let the PCs have their day. (That's EOTB's 'Just let them win' on a larger scale).
And yes, I have stat's on all the spies. They did capture the Witch's prime mole in the city and killed one of the drow's..(but not the other two). However it is no secret that the humans were preparing for war (calling in their vassals etc.)

I try not to shuffle---but it's hard not to stumble occassionally when you are running hard just to catch up.

If the villains had planned to attack right now, then let slip the dogs of war. The PCs can choose between going after that dragon or joining in the battle, or maybe trying to do both. Life is filled with choices, and adding time pressure almost always makes things interesting.

Obviously this is very context-dependent. I like to make a big spreadsheet when I have a lot of factions & villains to manage, so I can keep track of their likes & dislikes, attitudes to one another and the PCs, future plans, possible obstacles to those plans, etc.
Two more excellent points. Player Choice and DM organization!

Thank you very much for the helpful suggestions.

squeen

Here's a new map drawn during a many-day long car drive...Forbidden Island of the Witch Queen

forbidden_isle-raw.jpg
and after using GIMP for about 10 minutes...

forbidden_isle-small.jpg

Honestly, when I read too much on-line---the post of jaded long-time players and DMs---I am reminded how unoriginal and vanilla my content tends to be, and it saps my will to create. This one in particular is yet another another static-trap. A site warded to prevent entry. A prison for something Best Left Alone.

Bor-ing, right?

However
, the relentless momentum of the weekly game requires these sites to be detailed...and after having done so, the sheer joy of creatively revitalizes. I discover a rekindled yearning to finish (and polish) everything---connect all those imagined fragments. Finished what I started and set it free to live or die in the greater D&D world.

I feel that one cannot live in a creative and critical mindset simultaneously. There must be a rest period from each.

DP makes mention in another thread, he has an improvised world/campaign---I'm just not that good, on-the-spot. For me, things come alive only when the small details are added---and that only happens when I am in that creative fugue...quietly visualizing the environment and the consequences of it's existence. Turning it over and over. Seeing it with my mind's eye.

During a play session, I am more likely to reach (quickly) for something imagined earlier, or a plagiarization/trope from a lifetime of fantasy/sci-fi fiction consumption.

FWIW.

Last edited: