My "Megadungeon"

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Before I dropped everything to go all-in on the doomed Vanished Wastes project, I had been grinding away for a couple of years at a "megadungeon". I'd hate to declare this earlier project moribund but it's definitely slowed down. However, a lot of great content resulted and since the likelihood of it ever becoming a Kickstarter darling is increasingly non-existent, I thought I'd write up a series of posts sharing my work. Maybe people can find some useful material/inspiration/schadenfreude. As I mentioned over in my Post Mortem thread, adventure writing is a lonely pursuit and I'd love to hear suggestions, share war stories, bask in warm praise/cower under cruel contempt.

A few years ago, a series of great ideas hit me all at once. The first was The Angry GM's series on writing a megadungeon. At the time, it was pretty cool how he systematically laid out his work structure and the framework of his dungeon. The series later lost its way and I stopped checking in, but at its outset, it really seemed like, unlike so many other bloggers who'd crashed and foundered on the megadungeon rocks, this was a real formula for powering through the many pitfalls of writing a large adventure. (Turns out, it was not...which actually...worth its own thread altogether: What the hell combination of obsessive determination, time and project management do the rare few megadungeon 'finishers' like Greg Gillespie, @Melan, Michael Curtis etc. have that gets them past that mid-megadungeon stall?)

At the same time I was reading "The City" by Stella Gemmel, widow and writing partner of David Gemmel (check out "Lord of the Silver Bow" for another example of their fantastic work). "The City" was one of those okay novels that you plough through anyway because it's full of evocative ideas. In my case, what really struck me was the notion of a small state-sized city (a little like Constantinople) with an enormous underground realm full of the slowly degrading machinery of a society in decline and layer upon layer of previous iterations of the city intersecting with sewers, basements and catacombs of the world above.

This sent me down the internet rabbit hole on societal collapse. In particular, I was interested in the recovery of 'western' civilization after the Black Plague and the influence of ruination, massive depopulation and the ever-present specter of death and disease had on people, culture and architecture. I got way into medieval gothic, remembering in particular the fantastic art of early Games Workshop material, particularly the artwork of Ian Miller. I never plaid Mordheim but I'm sure I absorbed some of that from old White Dwarfs...

Chaos-citadel-.jpg

Finally, it was at this point that I started my first deep dives into the OSR where I encountered Chris Kutalik's fantastic Ruins Crawl concept, The Alexandrian's in-depth series of essays on Urban Crawls and Jed McClure's Wilderness Hexplore which has defined hex-stocking for me and I ended up riffing on/ripping off extensively.

I dove into my project obsessively. To have a titanic dungeon, I'd need a ruined city. To have a ruined city, I'd need a ruined kingdom. To have all this ruination, I'd need some backstory. In the next couple of posts I'll describe first the kingdom and backstory, then the city itself and finally drill right down into the underworld below!

The1True

To start out with I built a contained environment. I presupposed a world recovering from a savage plague. This particular corner of the world, having possibly been the epicenter, was particularly hard hit causing massive depopulation, mountains of bodies and humanity reduced to camps of survivalists, smugglers and cannibals. I imagined a valley at the edge of reality, prone to slipping in and out of human myth and legend. This city has known many masters and experienced cataclysm more than once. Ancient factions of goblins from an adjacent reality lay claim to the valley, competing with even more ancient kingdoms of elves and giants. Whoever claims the city, draws it into their continuum. In this time of flux, the valley is open to incursions from all these factions.
I painted a world, abstracted it in Hexographer, writing notes for every single hex and then repainted it:

WildernessMap05c.jpg

Based on this great post by Trollsmyth using Sherwood Forest as an example of a small area with dense features, I went with 1 mi hexes. (I also took this further, laying a hex map over the rural region around my parents' farm and noting the shear amount of interesting features crammed into the woods, fields and swamps around their house.) There's ample provisions for slowed movement in trackless terrain, so it didn't require much contrivance to imagine a small world where getting around, particularly if you are exploring, can be quite slow, requiring sleeping in the rough and all the dangers of wilderness survival. The up-side is, once routes are established, the game rules also provide for very quick movement allowing experience groups to cross the terrain very quickly once they are familiar with it. There are also numerous tracks and trails to follow for those who would prefer to Path Crawl. (I think I prefer the term to Point Crawl since it allows for not just encounters between the Points, but side Paths to unknown points.)

There's lots of cool stuff here, including a number of starting locations such as an abandoned island hamlet, a swampy smugglers' town, a survivalists' hill fort, a crusaders' commandery and a barbarian village. All within a day's walk of this central City on the lake. The notation sets up the Smugglers, Hobgoblins, Crusaders, Ghouls and Plague Cultists who vie for supremacy in the valley. Everything is covered in a couple decades of new-growth forest and every step carries the danger of tripping over crumbling walls and overgrown foundations. Nature is aggressively retaking the land.

Anyway, that was a huge distraction that took months, but finally I was ready to take on the City!

The1True

I wanted the City to be big. Really BIG. And I needed it to have history and geography. I built its classical iteration and laid it on a mountainside with a great river port:

old.jpg

and then SMASHED it with a huge mudslide and cataclysmic cave in, and rebuilt it, smaller, but still HUGE for a medieval city:

New.jpg

The bridges, once wonders of the world, now collapsed or dangerously disintegrating. The lake twinkling at night with the ghostly lights of the sunken city. I mocked up a quicky 3D visual of the City's topography just to make sure I wasn't building on improbable slopes:

City3D.jpg

I was ready to clean my map up and get to work on the details!
I started by figuring out a scale. I decided to divide the 1 mi hexes into 6, 880' hexes which are roughly the size of a large city block and conveniently fit two pieces of graph paper vertically in case the need for tactical mapping should arise. Scavenging block by block also makes for a great unit of urban hex crawling.

880FootHexSheet.jpg

Sorry about the JPG quality btw. I reduced everything in size to publish to the internet. Buuuut also because even if I am sharing, this artwork is still my IP....

The1True

Finally, using the London Fire as reference, I burned a large portion of the city to the ground and, like the surrounding countryside, covered it in a couple decades of new growth. I also allowed some of the more spectacular 'classical' architecture to poke through from the deeper layers as well as to dot the surrounding countryside. (the original is poster size so I can zoom way in):

Ruined.jpg

Yes, that is a huge and mysteriously well-preserved necropolis on the arrowhead island at the riverbend...

I then proceeded to write notes for every single sub-hex starting at about (09.06) and going to (36.23):

Notation.jpg

I decided that the primary reasons for exploring the city would be heavy looting, recovery of lost artifacts/knowledge and the search for routes into the legendary depths below, and the primary impediments would be navigating between hexes due to tangled overgrowth and crumbling architecture and warring groups of hobgoblins, looters and a growing daemon infestation. The looting and navigation issues needed to be reflected in my hex notation. Here's what an average hex reads like in its raw form (annotations in green):

24.12 Ziggurat of She Who Walks in Eternal Night
Connections:
4 (these are the number of connections to the depths below. The hyphenated numbers denote the levels accessible by the connection)
Strait Stairs 0-1, Steep Ramp (hidden) 0-1, Junction Shaft (Regular (6')) (hidden) 0-1-2-3, + Sinkhole Connection (difficult) 0-1.
Religious: (this is the type of neighbourhood)
Rubble and foundations (3/4 Mv) (state of the architecture), Dispersed (density of the architecture), Brick (primary building material in the neighbourhood), Access (ease of access to neighbouring hexes) (Easy N, Hidden (DC 25 Search/Spot, Possibly Guarded) NE, Limited Access (Watched/Guarded) SE, Impassible (DC 20 Climb/Balance) S, Impassible (DC 20 Climb/Balance) SW, Impassible (DC 20 Climb/Balance) NW).
Points of Interest: 3
Gunsmith: Partially ruined with some rubble, Abandoned.
Ziggurat: 170x170', 80' High, 6 Levels, Walls with some upper floors/rooves. 15th lvl High Priest + 215 1-14th lvl Priests (This is the original amount of clergy. As noted below the temple is now abandoned, but may contain undead based on the above numbers). Contains the Reliquary Shrine of the eye-teeth of the Prophet of Pharedin, 'She of the Flaming Eyes', Pale Dwarven Goddess of Guides in the Night. Cunningly disguised as part of the patterns in the wall carvings can be found (DC 26 Search/Spot) a symbolic map of the ancient canal and windwalk system (DC 20 Knowledge Geography/Cartography/Mathematics to decipher) and a rudimentary map of the major underdark trade corridors (DC 24 Knowledge Underdark/Dungeoneering to decipher). The shrine is said to grant the miracle of sight in deepest darkness. Abandoned, Human Encampment (Even though the place is abandoned, there is a temporary encampment of Humans. Possibly cultists, crusaders, survivors or looters).
Sacred Ground: 100x100', Partially ruined with some rubble, Demi-humans. Evil shies away from this holy ground. Camping is safe here and Good aligned beings enjoy the effects of a bless while resting here.

24.13 Last Words of the Cursed One
Connections:
Spiral Stairs (hidden) 0-1, Rope & Pulley (broken, hidden) 0-1, Fissure (hidden) 0-1, Spiral Stairs 0-3, Collapse (hidden) 0-3.
Education:
Rubble with some partial walls (3/4 Mv), Dense (1/2 Mv), Wood, Access (Impassible (DC 20 Climb/Balance) N, Impassible (DC 20 Climb/Balance) NE, Limited Access (Watched/Guarded) SE, Hidden (DC 25 Search/Spot, Possibly Guarded) S, Hidden (DC 25 Search/Spot, Possibly Guarded) SW, Impassible (DC 20 Climb/Balance) NW).
Shortcut:
This hex has a hidden (DC 24 Search/Spot) network of cleared and concealed byways allowing rapid transit through the area. +1/2 Mv.
Points of Interest: 10
Library: Nature, Very little damage, Goblins (This location is occupied by some form of Goblin).
Excavation: Partially ruined with some rubble, Abandoned.
Spire: 40x40', 330' High, 5 Floors, Rubble with some partial walls, Vermin (The City has many tall towers and minarets).
Guild Hall: Walls with some upper floors/rooves, Abandoned.
Clinic: Rubble with some partial walls, Abandoned, Hobgoblin Encampment (There is a temporary Hobgoblin camp. It might not be here next time).
Court: Partially ruined with some rubble, Abandoned.
Rotunda: Very little damage, Advanced Undead.
Academy: Walls with some upper floors/rooves, Abandoned, Dying High Priest of Pharedin (24.12) Hiding Out (...) ("(...)" is my note for "I don't know yet").
Courtyard: Partially ruined with some rubble, Abandoned.
Banquet Hall: Rubble with some partial walls, Abandoned.

All of these notes should provide for rapid development of a city block if PC's choose to explore it. Ideally, a DM would try to anticipate the night's activities and flesh things out ahead of time. In the works would be some kind loot and and encounter charts that could be modified by the state of the neighbourhood and specific to the POI's (like I should find healing supplies in a Clinic and books on nature in the Nature Library.) Points of Interest could be drawn from scratch, yoinked from the DM's favourite sources or possibly shoehorned into one of the buildings on a map blowup (here's 24.13):

880FootHexCity.jpg

Here's my RUINS GENERATOR for anyone interested in rolling up their own city blocks. Not included are the Feature charts from Wilderness Hexplore (I skewed occupancy results from that towards abandonment and ruin when I rolled castles and temples). The overwhelming theme to the Ruins Crawl (that I was hoping would come through in the rolling) was one of silence and abandonment interspersed with terrifying and rapidly snowballing pitched battles. PC's should be able to 'farm' a hex for literal cartloads of loot, slowly mapping their way deeper and deeper into the city as they go.

Finally, I'll get into the vast underworld tomorrow!

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
These posts are great, thank you! I am also curious on the megadungeon finisher effect as you note it is rare.

There is a recent interview with Curtis on Wandering DM where he flat out says it was a unique time in his life that enabled him.

Not everyone is like that! Gilispe and Lux are tanks and I am really curious as to the mental fortitude / project pitfalls involved. Medusa had numerous people involved and Stewart said it took yearssssss. Arden Vul only a mad man would take on, THANKS BRYCE, but that seems crazy to me too.

Dwimmermount, ASE (I have hope on this one, more than GRRM actually) and numerous others! The megadungeons that could have been! Its tough tough tough.

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
I decided that the primary reasons for exploring the city would be heavy looting, recovery of lost artifacts/knowledge and the search for routes into the legendary depths below, and the primary impediments would be navigating between hexes due to tangled overgrowth and crumbling architecture and warring groups of hobgoblins, looters and a growing daemon infestation.
When The Alexandrian was writing that series, intended for a regular city, I took issue with his choice to make exploration a central premise because it had no built in conflict in an ordinary city. I said, "Basically, if you want it to work as a crawl, you either need to change the city so that it effectively resembles a dungeon, or change the default goal to something other than exploration." I feel a bit vindicated that you appear to have dealt with the issue by making your city resemble a dungeon.

The1True

For those wishing to avoid the carnage in the streets or who prefer the more selective dangers and rewards found in the underworld, I built an enormous sewer system paralleling the streets above, borrowing from the infrastructure of the old buried city and intersecting/interconnecting through a plethora of underground features:

Sewers.jpg

you might notice that it is larger than the footprint of the new city. There were a number of things I wanted to have in my underground environment:

Several layers of sewers/drains/viaducts/aqueducts. (I went with 4). The deeper you go, the greater the challenges/rewards. 'Deeper' isn't a perfect word for this since the layers intermingle and intersect. More inaccessible might be the better term?

Labyrinthine navigability. It's a mess down there and very easy to lose one's way. Half the difficulty is trying to find 'Exits' to neighbouring hexes and 'Connections' to the surface without running into too many encounters or running out of food and water. (I marked Exits on the map at the edges of each hex. The number indicates the number of exits to the next hex (which affects the difficulty of finding the Exits), the commas indicate at what Depth the Exits can be found. (It's not pretty)

Shortcuts. The ancient city was connected by an underground network of canals navigated by automated, chain-drawn barges used to ship materials and waste from the mines in the Depths, but also to move large groups of workers around the vast city. Most of the old machinery is in disrepair (some of it dangerously so) but the canals are still navigable to those with their own means of water travel. Much less known was a system of Windwalking Tunnels (inspired by UK6 'All That Glitters'!) used by tunnel workers to get around quickly. Many of these are broken down or dangerous.

Buried City. Whole neighbourhoods lie intact, roofed over by tons of earth, sewer and newer city, their ancient knowledge and valuables left untouched!

The Depths. A few key locations exist in the Depths deep below the maze of sewers and buried city. A few rare Connections delve down to these lost and forbidden places.

Once again, I obsessively wrote notes for every single sewer hex. Here's an example of my raw notation for the realm directly below the above detailed City hexes (explanations in green):

24.12 Caverns
3 Levels: 1, 2, 3 (how many levels and at what depths)
Connections:
0: Strait Stairs 0-1, Steep Ramp (hidden) 0-1, Junction Shaft (Regular (6')) (hidden) 0-1-2-3, + Cavern Connection (difficult) 0-1.
1: Intersection (hidden) 1-2.
2: Ladder 2-3. (Connections to the surface listed level by level. '0' being the Surface. Connections are always downwards. Some connect more than one level (i.e.: 0-1-2-3). '+' Connections (i.e.: + Cavern Connection (difficult (0-1)) are found through Features or Locations below.)
Windwalker Tunnels:
A hidden (DC 20 Search/Spot) network of still operational Windwalker Tunnels can be found in this hex. Travelers may ignore All movement modifiers in this area and pass through to any Exit at up to 150' Mv. This section is Deactivated due to control room Damage (Desiccated; 100gp Parts). The room is Hidden (DC 28 Search/Spot) and Guarded by a Daemon.
Level 1:
Dense (3/4 Mv), Good Condition, Regular (6-10'), Dry, 5 Exits (2 N, SE, S, NW). (Density = the density of the tunnel infrastructure with tightly packed tunnel systems much more difficult to navigate. Condition = the condition of the tunnels. Size = Size of the tunnels. Wet or Dry. Number of exits to neighbouring hexes and on which faces of the hex)
Locations: (Specific underground Features to be found at this level)
Cavern: Sinkhole, 70x80', Connection (difficult) 0-1, Flooded, Stagnant.
Cavern: Cave 30x70', Wet, Stagnant.
Level 2:
Sparse, Good Condition, Regular (6-10'), Dry, 1 Exit (SW).
Cavern: Great Cavern w Satellite Caves, 80x100' + 4 Caves (70x80', 70x70', 110x120', 20x60'), Magical Beasts.
Level 3:
Dense (3/4 Mv), Fair Condition (3/4 Mv), Regular (6-10'), Dry, 3 Exits (NE, 2 S).
Cavern: Cave Network, 140x80', 10 Caves, Wet, Stagnant, Monstrous Humanoids.

24.13 Hidden Depths
2 Levels: 1, 3
Connections:
0: Spiral Stairs (hidden) 0-1, Rope & Pulley (broken, hidden) 0-1, Fissure (hidden) 0-1, Spiral Stairs 0-3, Collapse (hidden) 0-3.
1: Straight Stairs 1-3, Stairs w Landings (hidden) 1-3.
3: Junction Shaft (Regular (10')) (hidden) Ladder 3-Depths + Whirlpool Connection 3-Depths. (a rare connection to the depths marked on the map as stairs)
Windwalker Tunnels:
A hidden (DC 20 Search/Spot) network of still operational Windwalker Tunnels can be found in this hex. Travellers may ignore All movement modifiers in this area and pass through to any Exit at up to 150' Mv. This section is Deactivated. The control room is Hidden (DC 28 Search/Spot) and Guarded by a Construct.
Level 1:
Light Density, Poor Condition (3/4 Mv), Ancilary (6"-5', 3/4 Mv), Wet (3/4 Mv), Stagnant, 8 Exits (N, NE, SE, 2 S, 2 NW).
Buried City: Trades, 30x40', 1 Building, 1 Street, 1 Alley, Very little damage, Wood, Special (...). 1 POI:
Hospice. (Type of neighbourhood, dimensions of the cavern around the buried city, contents of the cavern, number of Points of Interest. 'Special' indicates a special inhabitant, usually a high level monster or an NPC, occupies this Location.)
Level 3:
Sparse, Good Condition, Regular (6-10'), Wet (3/4 Mv), Flowing, 5 Exits (2 N, NE, SE, S).
Locations:
Buried City: Trades, 260x130', 16 Buildings, 1 Street, 1 Alley, 2 Squares, Very little damage, Wood, Abandoned. 5 POI:
Scabbard Maker; Library (Fetishes/Leatherwork); Saddler; Ministry (Trade); Guildhall (Tanners and Leatherworkers).
Buried City: Trades, 80x100', 4 Buildings, 2 Streets, Walls with some upper floors/rooves, Wood, Special (...). 4 POI:
Rooming House; Scrapyard; Apartment Building; Depot.
Infrastructure:
Drainage Whirlpool (DC 24 Spot/Search; DC 26 Swim) Connection 3-Depths.

I hoped the clear description of Locations' dimensions and contents would make it easy to map and populate a quick dungeon before game time. (I wish to christ someone would revisit that Donjon generator and throw in a little more granular control and allow for thinner walls between the rooms. It is still pretty friggin awesome, but surely the algorithms could have been advanced in the last 15 years?) Encounters in the sewers would be largely procedural and use geomorphs like the ones in D1 'Descent into the Depths of the Earth'. When I blew the map up, my tangle of sewers and ancient buildings spaced way out, but in a pinch, the maps might serve to help plan Location encounters:

880FootHexSewer.jpg

So my Megadungeon became a Sewer Crawl sandbox with key locations that in some cases resemble small-medium dungeons. An index of these locations would be written up and put into tables that could be rolled on by PC's Gathering Information among other adventurers, Researching in libraries or Investigating for hidden clues, so it's not entirely a crapshoot if people don't want it to be. A player could hear about a rich chunk of unexplored buried city in 24.13 and thus be motivated to find their way safely to that hex and attempt to navigate down to the 3rd level without getting lost or running out of supplies, etc.

For anyone interested, here's my Sewer Crawl Generator. Points of Interest were generated with the Ruins Generator above and once again, Features were generated by Wilderness Hexplore.

Of course, this isn't all procedural. There are a number of key locations, NPC's and items that have been designed and placed with great deliberation within the sandbox(es). There is also a (way overthought) overarching plot and timeline that can be followed, ignored and come back to at the players' whims. I really thought I was going to publish this behemoth, but having gotten my ass kicked by the much less ambitious (ha!) Vanished Wastes sandbox, I think it's slowly downgraded to one of those 'Some Day...' grand campaign plans that you keep bugging your gaming group about. I guess I dream of finding a collaborator or two to help me jam ideas, draw up dungeon maps for some of the more interesting locations, stat up some of the more interesting NPC's and build an index database that could be converted into the kind of tables that could drive this sandbox.

The1True

Other than some extremely comprehensive Encounter and Treasure charts, I'm curious what other information people would like to see in the Ruins and Sewer Crawl notes.

Melan

*eyeroll*
A few years ago, a series of great ideas hit me all at once. The first was The Angry GM's series on writing a megadungeon. At the time, it was pretty cool how he systematically laid out his work structure and the framework of his dungeon. The series later lost its way and I stopped checking in, but at its outset, it really seemed like, unlike so many other bloggers who'd crashed and foundered on the megadungeon rocks, this was a real formula for powering through the many pitfalls of writing a large adventure. (Turns out, it was not...which actually...worth its own thread altogether: What the hell combination of obsessive determination, time and project management do the rare few megadungeon 'finishers' like Greg Gillespie, @Melan, Michael Curtis etc. have that gets them past that mid-megadungeon stall?
I just burn out a lot, and pick up the project years later. Check out my latest blog post - my OD&D dungeon project was mostly on hiatus for about two years. Xyntillan took several years from concept to finish. It is not easy, and sometimes you need to take a break and do something else.

There are no great secrets.

The1True

I just burn out a lot, and pick up the project years later.
It helps to always have a couple projects on the go in case you burn out on one, you can go work on another. It looks a bit like that's what you've got going on there.
These big projects can even be divided up into smaller projects so if you stall out on mapping, you can do some writing. Hit a wall with writing; work on a side-quest. Feeling drained; build a wilderness etc. The problem there is ADD can turn an ambitious project into an unending creativity sink. (I've watched two video game studios die this way...)

Melan

*eyeroll*
It helps to have other hobbies, too. I like level design, which is suitably different to tabletop that it is refreshing when TT no longer does it.

Osrnoob

I just burn out a lot, and pick up the project years later. Check out my latest blog post - my OD&D dungeon project was mostly on hiatus for about two years. Xyntillan took several years from concept to finish. It is not easy, and sometimes you need to take a break and do something else.

There are no great secrets.
There is a quote from Chuck Jones when asked about writers block. His response was something to the effect of:
Its called work

Is the truth that when faced with the reality of a large RPG product that writers no longer find the work in their hobby fun or full of nutrients ?

The1True

I know I stopped filling sketchbooks the second I took a job as a professional animator... That said, a couple of the truly successful 3D modelers I've known worked 12 hr days and then went home and did their own 3D projects for fun. I would say for most of us however, never take a job doing something you love.

Osrnoob

Do megadungeons turn a hobby into a part time job to use your metaphor?

Is this the theory on why so many never get finished?

Many take jobs in things they love. Melan commented above, his job is more similar than others to RPG work I.e. being an academic is creative and philosophical vs client managment or process jobs such as law. This said, his output is great.

His hobby has not preculded him from a side jobs amount of work in his hobby.

But he still likes it (ie he talks to us and has in many forms for decades -proboards -dragonsfoot -rpgnet) so I don't know if its as simple as don't take a job in what you love

The1True

I think what I'm saying is that the guys who moved on to ILM and Squaresoft were the guys who's love for the hobby couldn't be dimmed by having to do it all day every day. They're a rare breed.

But yeah, I mean the amount of work I put out above, ridiculous and OCD though it distinctly is, required weeks of 4-6 hr days to produce and is still nowhere near complete. That was the mistake the Vanished Wastes project made me realize. I thought that once I had all the hexes in the world generated that everything would fall into place, but then I cut off a tiny chunk for Irradiated Paradox and it took two months of near full time work just to detail and tie together all the elements on that isolated patch of map into a (semi)coherent story! It was ... an eye-opening experience.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
For me, writing to keep just ahead of the party is the great motivator. Knowing it will get used and soon bumps it to the top of the stack.

In work parlance, it's called a deadline. :)

Commodore

*eyeroll*
I really like the project here, 1True.

For me, writing to keep just ahead of the party is the great motivator. Knowing it will get used and soon bumps it to the top of the stack.

In work parlance, it's called a deadline. :)
Deadlines are the only way to make it work for me personally. I'm just a hobby publisher, but I still force myself to adhere to a goal end-date or nothing just gets done. Having a playtest group sets some time scales but I'm running months-long campaigns on tightly scrawled single sheets of A4; "notes needed for me to run" and "publishable" are a vast gap.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
But yeah, I mean the amount of work I put out above, ridiculous and OCD though it distinctly is, required weeks of 4-6 hr days to produce and is still nowhere near complete.
For me, the majority of the project needs to be fun and not feel like work. There is definitely work aspects and things that are not fun to do, but unless there is a solid deadline, like with a Kickstarter, then deadlines can remain loose. Having said that, I've been known to work 15-25 hours over the weekend (3 day weekends) on hobby stuff because I get in 'the zone'. A lot of project juggling. We have a few big projects we are working on--sometimes I like to bust out a smaller project and get it out there so it feels like I accomplished something before delving back into the big project.