Fane of the False Prophet

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
Starting this thread to capture an adventure idea that erupted elsewhere. Feel free to chime in with comments/suggestions. Here's what we have so far.

Intro:

Another cohort of young people recently abandoned their apprenticeships to join that secretive cult at city center. Why does the Lord Mayor allow this? Why do none return? What’s going on beyond those cyclopean doors? Perhaps it’s time for an obscure group of “expendables” to infiltrate that fane.

Background:

The cult began several years ago with a single vagrant preaching rebirth and renewal to other street urchins. Just more quackery among the underclass, most thought. The organized Church pitied them, but otherwise paid no notice. Then a few years back, appeared a new leader, Ezhur the Velvet, and multiple recruiters, all of a better sort. They worked up the social ladder to the present situation in which skilled apprentices – tomorrow’s crafting class – are leaving for “rebirth and renewal,” never to be seen again. Yet, the Lord Mayor expresses no alarm saying, “It’s only a handful and surely most will return in a year or two.” Now the once homeless cult carries on in secret behind the closed doors of a renovated bath house.

The Lord Mayor tolerates the cult because its leader pays him hush money. Those funds in turn sustain the bribes that enable him to drive his tendrils into the city’s power centers and even the royal court. All necessary because the Lord Mayor squandered his inheritance on gambling and prostitution. Well aware of all this, Ezhur the Velvet could ruin the Lord Mayor at any time.

Cultists become minions in a vast bureaucracy headed by Ezhur the Velvet, a doppelganger. The best recruits rise through the ranks to become illusionists (perhaps up to 5th level) who leverage their spells to infiltrate and blackmail high society and then funnel the proceeds back to the cult. But most get trampled by the organization; some are consumed in magical experiments, others sold into slavery for profit.

Hooks:

An agent of the official Church approaches players in secret with an offer. If they will infiltrate the cult and report back on its structure and purpose the church will provide them with all manner healing (or level training) for the rest of their lives at no cost. But they must tell no one of this benefit or that the church retained them.

A Madame, angry over the loss of still more talent, offers a secret deal. If the players can recover her most precious dancer, Soira Sorcha, the Madame will reward them with connections in high places. But they must tell no one of this arrangement.

Possible PC Options:

Raid the cult compound "commando" style.

Pose as aspirants to infiltrate and spy on the cult.

Fall prey to their "hook" who is actually sending them into a trap to be captured by the cult.

Join!

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
So I'd think about how much infiltration has occurred and who. That the official church must do this in such strict secrecy likely means they're compromised. Is the agent reporting to the top or to the next layer down? Other high society compromises could be detailed - a nobles list; who in the watch is on the take; who in the poor shadow government (thieves'and beggars' guilds, lotus-runners, gambling den owners, procurers, etc.) are helping blackmail the nobles?

Make a list of the socially taboo behaviors used to blackmail, detail who's involved on both sides of the blackmail coin. Should be "good" and 'bad" guys all over the place. Spy vs Spy. The assassins guild might be the greatest ally the PCs have, as they've learned one of the corrupt nobles (a past frequent customer) who knows much could spill the beans to deflect attention and remove a possible threat at the same time. Some rumbles of that are out already, and this noble is beloved and his action would be seen as good and just instead of getting rid of competition.

Has it spread out of the city at all? I wouldn't detail this but having a page of thoughts could provide something to run with if the players get engaged. It's also just as good for it to be local and defeatable.

Need to beef up what attracts the young people. The young are often idealists, so it could lie in that direction. It could lie in pure opportunity, something that offers them more than the apprenticeship in exchange for skills. But cults center on a purported truth kept suppressed for a false teaching, so what is that truth and what is the false teaching?

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
It might not be the church who wants to act in secret, but perhaps the local priest. His superior doesn't seem to take him seriously; maybe he is stupid, or maybe he thinks the priest is stupid, or maybe he is compromised, or maybe the church is hoping the cult becomes problematic enough that the church will be granted concessions to deal with them.

As least two other NPCs should be Ezhur in disguise.

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
"Need to beef up what attracts the young people."

The draw is developing power over perception (Illusionist spells). In game terms, the cult is constantly developing a crop of budding illusionists. Those who don't make the cut become fuel for the others.

"As least two other NPCs should be Ezhur in disguise."

Very clever, that could generate some real intrigue.

Beoric

"Need to beef up what attracts the young people."

The draw is developing power over perception (Illusionist spells). In game terms, the cult is constantly developing a crop of budding illusionists. Those who don't make the cut become fuel for the others.
There must be at least a few cynics who only join so they don't have to pay tuition to Illusionist school.

squeen

Gandalf -- I wish I could help more, but I am uncertain what kind of vibe you are going for here. In an ideal sense, how do you imagine the adventure playing out?

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
No worries, this is evolving.

For vibe, I’m thinking something like The Tower of the Elephant by Robert E. Howard.

Ideally, the players would equip themselves for a “night raid” and break into the cult compound under cover of darkness to have a look around. Keep in mind, the cult enjoys immunity from local law enforcement, but not their protection per se. Ergo, the cult compound is NOT a fortress, but rather a pseudo “keep” guarded by a few distracted cultists (who would rather be practicing spells) and some mediocre guard animals who happen to be on duty/patrol at any given time. Therefore, scaling the walls, picking locks, bending bars, etc., are all viable means of entry. A short sharp fight might follow, but the “guards” are not professionals and are not expecting intrusion. Moreover, any short scuffle could be mistaken for a fight in the nearby street or just some late night magic practice.

Alternatively, players might knock on the doors and pose as aspirants. In that case, they would be turned away, but later “visited” by a scout in disguise who would gauge their sincerity. In this case, players would have to role play a credible act to be accepted as newbies. These new recruits would have to abandon all worldly possessions upon entry.

Either way, players discover that new recruits are put to work cleaning laboratories and lavatories. Those who do well are “selected” for the next “level” where they function as targets and or subjects for the spell practice of more senior cultists. Those who do well there (make their saves) are taught some casting and in turn practice on more recent recruits. The best then get sent on missions to the outside where they use spells like change self to disguise their appearance while gathering evidence with which to blackmail local officials. Through overheard conversations and or exposed ledgers players might learn of local officials on the cult’s payroll. Along the way, players notice the bejeweled splendor of more senior cultists and might devise means to acquire those precious stones and magic items.

In any case, Ezhur the Velvet (the cult’s leader), need not appear in the first adventure. He’s a more senior villain who the players might pursue – or evade – in later installments. Similarly, the first adventure would not get too deep into city politics; at first they are just background/justification. For now, the PCs are exploring the cult compound, learning of its intrigues, and discovering its vast wealth. This could happen in a single evening, via a night raid, or over a few weeks by those posing as new recruits. The pace of the adventure and nature of the challenges would vary based on the PCs’ approach.

squeen

Got it now.

Those are two very different approaches (Tower of the Elephant raid with supernatural entity inside), versus slow inflitration as an apprentice.

Both activities certainly will keep low-level players busy.

My question for you: is there a twist hiding in there somewhere---something unpredictable? Something to knock the players out of the driver's seat and force them to react?

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
Got it now.

Those are two very different approaches (Tower of the Elephant raid with supernatural entity inside), versus slow inflitration as an apprentice.

Both activities certainly will keep low-level players busy.

My question for you: is there a twist hiding in there somewhere---something unpredictable? Something to knock the players out of the driver's seat and force them to react?
Concocting the twist is my next hurdle. I need to dream up something unexpected that can jump out at the PCs during their exploration. Suggestions?

squeen

In Howard's story it was the bizarre nature of the Tower's alien inhabitant. In D&D, weird creatures are to be expected. If you wanted to go that route, the key would be to have a very mundane build-up, so that encountering the alien doppelgangers (or whatever) is jarring and cause their well-laid plans to unravel rapidly. Finding out a clone-creature has infiltrated the party might do that. Even a betrayal/reveal by a trusted guide might be enough.

Another options is to have a sudden and terrifying jump into the bizarre---plane-shift, trapped in a Nether-hell, teleported off-planet and sold into slavery, etc.

Sometimes, just the suggestion of a stressful environment (trapped & hunted, time running out, snatch from the party, etc.) can elicit a player's panic reaction. To my thinking, that sort of visceral moment is the climatic part of the D&D thrill-ride---but it needs to be counter-pointed with the mundane (resource management, normal/benign NPC interactions, etc.) to work.

Sure, it might kill a few PC's...but they surely would remember it!

Last edited:

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
"In Howard's story it was the bizarre nature of the Tower's alien inhabitant."

A ha! I overlooked that as a literary device until you mentioned it. In plain sight and I missed it. A strange/never-before-seen creature with an intriguing story does indeed do the trick. How shocking that he/she/it is NOT there to be killed and is NOT a friend of the cult. Thanks.