Campaign XP

Two orcs

Officially better than you, according to PoN
I consider XP to be a sort of score - a measure of your success and dedication. At death - back to 0!

The sting of death separates D&D from many other games, and it creates a true thrill when your characters life is on the line. Usually there is Raise Dead and other cushions available, and true death is only a feature of special circumstances. It also seems unfair that the risk takers are more often put back at 0 score.

I'm considering adding Campaign XP for each player. When your character dies the Campaign XP remains and the new character adds to it too. Has this been done before? What tangible rewards should be tied to a high score without disrupting normal play too much? I thought about allowing you to start with a fresh character at higher level, but the way the old experience tables work a level 1 character catches up to the rest quickly anyway, so it's not a problem that needs to be solved. Any ideas? You think this will create bad unintended consequences?

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
Never level up more than once a session per Gygax.

Extra XP can be given to hirelings or put into an XP bank with 50% interest.

Also XP only for money spent (use a copper standard, most gp if using printed modules or B x treasure tables is converted from 100gp to 100 cp).

Makes prices more realistic and more room to grow if they flood the economy.

The other point to make is although it feels bad. Its not really a problem. With geometric XP recs, a level one character hanging out with level 8s in a place with level 8 treasure is going to level up SO FAST OMG.

So although it sounds bad its never really an issue in play and is very fun regardless of what you choose.

Last edited:

Two orcs

You didn't address anything I wrote. Don't post on autopilot.

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Something similar to this is the common house rule that new PCs come in to the party at a level or so lower than the party average level. The question is: does it make it more satisfying if it's a transparent system that you contribute time to each week instead of a simple fiat judgement call? Some people need that time investment because they want to feel the outcome to feel "objective" and disassociated. My personality type doesn't really care and I say "you start at level 5 because I say so".

I don't think it causes any game problems; the DMG admits once you've played the game awhile, levels 1 and 2 aren't all that exciting anymore for everybody and recommends starting at level 3.

Last edited:

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I'll admit @Two orcs : I don't understand what you are suggesting.
I'm considering adding Campaign XP for each player. When your character dies the Campaign XP remains and the new character adds to it too.
You want the Campaign XP to be tied to something, but you don't know what?

Two orcs

Yes! XP is a way of keeping score and I wonder about the wider implications of tying that score to the player and not just the character. So I wonder about suitable meta-rewards for achieving a higher score, possibly tied to advancement in the Campaign just like level advancement allows tackling tougher challenges.

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Let's consider all the ways newer characters are disadvantaged:

Levels of course
They have less money
They have fewer spells (class-depending)
They have fewer magical items
They don't have hench (campaign/group dependent)
They have no "luck points" (system/houserule dependent)

So you could set up some sort of campaign participation system that mixed and matched these, to allow players who've participated long/well to either accumulate these towards their next character on a fixed schedule (get to level 3, your next character starts at level 2; get to level 4 your next character starts with a +1 sword) or, if you really want to individualize it and spend the time inputting/recording, you could make it a system each player could choose collection of benefits which would apply to their next character, and minimize the power curve drop-off that comes from death.

(This wouldn't be my sort of thing, but perhaps the idea is helpful to you)

Beoric

Yes! XP is a way of keeping score and I wonder about the wider implications of tying that score to the player and not just the character. So I wonder about suitable meta-rewards for achieving a higher score, possibly tied to advancement in the Campaign just like level advancement allows tackling tougher challenges.
I think experience with your campaign is its own reward. Even if they start new characters, they know more about the world, as long as you don't enforce some sort of separation of experienced player knowledge from new character knowledge. They know who to ask for stuff, and how to get stuff, and monster vulnerabilities, and customs and politics. As long as you don't take that away from them they are never quite starting from the same place.

Last edited:

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
100% this.

Apparently it did not come across but I don't think you can go wrong.

Find what feels good.

squeen

I'll admit, I've gone the "standard AD&D route" in that henchmen get a 50% XP. That way, it does two things: (a) slows party advancement (yeah!) and (b) means they are never very far behind and even have some loot.

Sometimes I let the players take control of the henchmen for little side missions. If they die, then they just pick a henchman to inherit if they don't want to start over with a fresh PC. It does help take the sting out a bit.

This is actaully discussed in the 1e DMG --- even the bit about taking control of henchmen so side missions when the high-level PC is otherwise occupied. I found that accidental convergence with EGG's experience a good indication that we were on the right track.

Johann

*eyeroll*
What EOTB said. I've considered that approach (Karma points for a starting character when a PC dies) but ultimately decided against it -- the exponential XP curve allows easy catching-up, as you note.

At Story-Games, IIRC someone talked about how one could "cash-in" demi-humans when they reached their level-limit (e.g. a dwarf might sacrifice himself to forge a cool weapon or a halfing might turn into a leprechaun granting some sort of wish). Not sure I'm doing the idea justice, but Story-Games threads are hard to access.

I think campaign XP would require you to hand out individual XP to make sense (note that this is not the same as "everyone advances at the same rate" because death and different classes' XP requirements make for a non-homogenous party).

If you already do that, keeping score and granting extra benefits (as per EOTB's suggestions) sounds interesting, especially as one can only benefit when a character dies. Combined with individual XP, especially for daring play, this would nicely incentivize risky and proactive play (at least on paper).