B/X - Why You Love It, and Why You Are Right (A Humble Opinion by A Humble Man)

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
I notice a lot of love for AD&D and later editions and I don't see B/X mentioned that often, which comes as a bit of a surprise. In the OSR, we see many successful games derived from B/X (Lamentations of the Flame Princess, ACKS, Labyrinth Lord) rather then AD&D 1st edition. This is a post meant to exalt this paragon of all-DnD's as the greatest in not simply the OSR, but the entire universe. Each of you is allowed to share his fondest memory of having touched, seen or heard about B/X that all of us may bask in the collective self-gratification of liking it the best. The one I use for convenience sake to illustrate the self-evident supremacy of its every letter is the Rules Cyclopedia Edition from 1998.

It is an edition that is certainly not without its flaws; Platemail is still a paltry 50 gp, an immersion breaking remnant from pre-AD&D days, the equipment list as a whole misses many worthwhile additions that would appear in later editions like Caltrops, Tents or Wardogs. Spellcasting does not have the many breaks and caveats of the Advanced Editions, meaning that high level mages are well and truly broken, throwing uncapped d6 per level fireballs or half that number of magic missiles, resurrection is 1 con no questions no takebacksees and its bestiary omits many classic monsters like the Nilbog, Flumph or Adherer. I don't think they even cover non-magical healing in the Cyclopedia other then by using the healing skill, and the skill system is clearly a placeholder for something better, but for a rough outline it will serve.

In return we get a system that is almost perfect in the light-weight category, a fine introduction to Oldschool gaming, easily picked up without foreknowledge of all but the basics, yet complex enough to make for many sessions of gameplay. The cumbersome race/class dichotomy is replaced with the four classic archetypes and 3 demihuman classes, fully archetypal and all the more distinct for it. A fine selection of weaponry is available, with many funky weapons like the Net, Whip, Blowgun or Bola in case the DM is feeling funky. Combat rules are easily applied, allowing one to run 10 min turns that take 10 seconds of in-game time, but have many interesting caveats like a round to switch to any weapon (except a dagger), a penalty for attacking with polearms from range, rules for Disengaging from Melee and two-weapon fighting rules that are optional and (arguably) broken.

The Bestiary is nice and firm, containing all the essential monsters (Vampire, Orc, Troll, Beholder, Dragon etc. etc.) as well as some interesting additions like the Mechanoid, Thool (a rare carryover from 0e I believe) or the Nightshade. Encounter and morale rules are essentially identical to AD&D, and that's excellent since all of those things worked pretty well.

But we have not talked of the unique features of this wonderful game. Fully mapped out path leading all the way up to level 36 and playable (hmmmnh...) Immortal rules? Check! Domain management rules along with monthly income/upkeep/xp gain fully integrated into the level progression? Check! Abstracted turn long battle system with single dice-roll resolution? Check! Barebones Siege warfare rules? Oh yes!

The library of support for B/X is considerable and contains many unforgettable classics; Keep on the Borderlands, Castle Amber, Isle of Dread, Temple of the Frog, Master of the Desert Nomads! Combine this with some A-tier stuff coming out now; Chronicles of Ahmerth, Hill Cantons, Wormskin, M.Greis and the enigmatic Unbalanced Dice Games. In summary: If there is branch of the OSR alive and well it is B/X!

All other games are for poopyheads! Death to all who oppose us!

Beek Gwenders

*eyeroll*
Ummm, Rules Cycolpedia is BECMI not B/X...(but I think I know what you mean).

I agree, a solid edition on the whole (except for the weapon mastery rules, that’s some power-gaming nonsense right there).

Pseudoephedrine

Should be playing D&D instead
Yeah, I think at this point, B/X and its retroclones / variations (OSE, LL, LOTFP, ACKS, etc.) are the predominant system in the OSR. OSRIC, S/W, Into the Odd and DCC are all doing fine, but the B/X ecology seems the broadest and deepest.

The Heretic

I learned with the Mentzer red box. In 5th or 6th grade one of my friends got it and ran us through the intro adventure, X1, and X2. He didn't quite get the mechanics of it all, so for a long time we thought that your Strength score was what you needed to roll (or higher) to be hit. We had armor class, but as far as we knew that didn't do anything. And of course both the fighter and the magic user were casting unlimited magic missile.

I got it myself for Christmas later that year. I did the tutorial and discovered that 'oh hey, we're doing this WRONG'. Heh.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I have a bunch to say on this (no surprise!)...busy at the moment. I also need to check out the Cyclopedia site.

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I learned with the Mentzer red box. ... He didn't quite get the mechanics of it all, so for a long time we thought that your Strength score was what you needed to roll (or higher) to be hit. We had armor class, but as far as we knew that didn't do anything. And of course both the fighter and the magic user were casting unlimited magic missile.
Run with this. Start your own twisted retro-clone. Call it: Super Awesome Red System (SARS). I'm pretty sure disease acronyms are trendy right now.

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
I learned with the Mentzer red box. In 5th or 6th grade one of my friends got it and ran us through the intro adventure, X1, and X2. He didn't quite get the mechanics of it all, so for a long time we thought that your Strength score was what you needed to roll (or higher) to be hit. We had armor class, but as far as we knew that didn't do anything. And of course both the fighter and the magic user were casting unlimited magic missile.

I got it myself for Christmas later that year. I did the tutorial and discovered that 'oh hey, we're doing this WRONG'. Heh.
One summer afternoon in 1981, I was walking around the neighborhood with Denny, another rising 5th grader, in search of something to do. He asked if I had ever played “D&D”? When I said no, he offered a confusing explanation and referred me to Alfred, one of the “big kids,” for a demonstration. Minutes later I knocked on Alfred’s door and he gladly hauled out his books to walk me through an adventure.

We sat down at the school bus stop where he gave me a pre-generated character and commenced to run S1, The Tomb of Horrors. Terrible game play, but great marketing. The illustrations and dice blew me away. I got as far as the four-armed gargoyle (encounter area 8). Amused, but not yet captivated, I went on may way looking for something else to do.

A few weeks later, I agreed to join the infamous “Wingfield” campaign where I languished in the back of a room packed with 10 middle schoolers. The DM read encounter descriptions aloud verbatim, so we knew upfront exactly which treasure was present, and resolved everything with a roll of the d20. Again, the game play was “meh,” but that illustration of a hill giant on the cover of G1 drew me in.

Intrigued, I went out and bought Moldvay Basic with some birthday money. I think it was $13. I could barely understand the rules, and was overwhelmed by B2’s spaghetti text. No one else in the family wanted to play. So, I defected to another gaming group of three run by a precocious 6th grader. Finally, game play by the rules. We quickly shifted to AD&D and played frequently for the next five years. I finished in the 10th grade with an 11-th level Ranger cleaning house in the Hall of the Fire Giant King!

PrinceofNothing

High Executarch
Staff member
Ummm, Rules Cycolpedia is BECMI not B/X...(but I think I know what you mean).

I agree, a solid edition on the whole (except for the weapon mastery rules, that’s some power-gaming nonsense right there).
Whoops.

I think the weapon mastery rules are...manageable? They come into play at around 6th level, and mainly serve to beef up the Fighter at 10+,by no means as gamebreaking as a 10d6 magic missile spell.

TerribleSorcery

My experience with the original B/X is nonexistent, since I grew up in the 2nd edition days (bleah).

I bought Labyrinth Lord because I liked the black & white artwork, and found it so simple even my tired ass could pay attention long enough to learn the rules. The greatest gift B/X gave me was never having to learn another rule, or buy another goddamned rulebook ever again! Now when folks talk about their new repackaging of the rules with different artwork/whatever, I just laugh. No need to waste any of my precious neurons on that.

Long may it reign!