Are you shitting me, Noble Knight Games is in my backyard!?!

The Heretic

Should be playing D&D instead
Well I'll be. I didn't realize that Noble Knight games is one city over from where I leave. This is extremely silly now that I realize I've ordered stuff from them.

They have a big list of d20/3.5 books they are interested in. What a coincidence, last night I was looking at my library and thinking I could probably toss a shelf or two of some of that godawful D20 third party stuff.

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
They have a big list of d20/3.5 books they are interested in. What a coincidence, last night I was looking at my library and thinking I could probably toss a shelf or two of some of that godawful D20 third party stuff.
Got any of the old Goodman or Necromancer stuff? Or Penumbra Press?

The Trove is down. That Zweihander douche is claiming credit. Unmitigated tragedy.

Man it's good to be back in Canada! (if only for a little while) So, so much less cabbage on everything...

The1True

The covid histeria is definitely more elevated here than in Germany. Bring on that vaccine passport! I don't feel like that's politics, but if it is I apologize unreservedly to the obstinately unwashed and unvaccinated everywhere...

Commodore

*eyeroll*
Noble Knight is basically TTRPG GameStop, right? Never thought about it, but maybe they masterminded the systematic destruction, root and branch, of the Trove. I hear even the Wayback Machine got rid of them. As a PWYW publisher guy I was very amused to get pirated...it was better advertising than anything DriveThru did.

The1True

I definitely used it to try before I'd buy. Especially some of the classic TSR stuff that is now preposterously expensive. It was also super useful for converting stuff I already owned in print to VTT.

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
Especially some of the classic TSR stuff that is now preposterously expensive.
Aw, its not that bad. I see the PDF of Hommlet on DriveThru for $6 CAD, and softcover + PDF of ToEE is on sale for $24, which is probably pretty close to what it would have cost in the 80s at my local store.

The Heretic

Got any of the old Goodman or Necromancer stuff? Or Penumbra Press?
Hmm, let me check. Penumbra no. Goodman just a few of the earliest DCC (fake OSR). I do have quite a bit of Scarred Lands Necromancer stuff though.

What is the Trove? I must've missed out.

The1True

What is the Trove? I must've missed out.
The trove was (is?) a brazenly (probably) illegal trove of just about every RPG book/digital peripheral ever. I don't feel bad talking about it given that it would show up on a straight google search for a D&D PDF. It had a lot of the more prominent OSR publications (props to @Commodore ) along with all the TSR/Wizards stuff. It was a great way to try before you buy or find digital backup for printed purchases from third parties who don't provide digital copies (EBay, Noble Knight etc). They were definitely pushing the envelope of fair use file sharing which I guess finally pissed a creator off (people are claiming it was the Zweihander guy who apparently loves to be hated). They say they'll be back. I guess time will tell. It was a spectacularly useful resource.

Which of the old DCC's do you have?

The Heretic

Which of the old DCC's do you have?
Tempus fugit. I'll let you know next time I look at them. I think I'm going to go through my bookshelves and find more crap^H^H^H^H to trade in.

As for the Trove, that makes sense. I think that was what I was looking for (the Dungeon magazine with "In the Dread of Night") when I found tenfootpole.