AD&D is obsolete, Round 2?

Johann

*eyeroll*
(And to clarify: I'm not merely arguing that AD&D is not a good choice for beginners, given the alternatives. I think if you're able to understand and handle its complexities, you're much better off designing your own homewbrew than embracing it RAW.)

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I might not start them on 1e...I'd pick something easier (rules light) like OD&D/S&W/LL. But I think they'd get to AD&D eventually---I did.
In that sense, it's not obsolete---just correctly labeld as "Advanced".

Beoric

XP by the (1E) book:

Monster XP - DM divides monster XP however they choose; the book advises equally
Magic Item XP - goes to the character obtaining ownership of the item
Gold XP (including gold from selling items not kept) - the players determine how money is split, and XP is given for the gold as split to each character
Challenge Factor: all of the above presumes a challenging environment. If a group of 10th level characters decide to slum on level 1 of a dungeon, the DM is within their rights to reduce the XP by a % they deem fit. In practicality, most players want to get bigger hoards and so manage their challenge rating just fine. I've not had to do this. But if there's a group of timid players this is a way to address an appetite for pushovers. But I wouldn't use it unless it's clear the players are purposefully trying to avoid any meaningful risk.

How I do it varies in one small detail; consumables (scrolls, potions) don't give XP for merely packing it around, you have to use it and then I give the person using it XP on the spot. But if you packed it around and lost it to a fireball, you got zilch. Figure out a way to use it that helps move the game along so I can hand out more magic items, please.

I'm all for XP for magic items. Low levels are fun for newbs. I advise players to sell more magic items at low level to advance faster, and also to strategically divide the money so that characters near to next levels gain them before everyone leaves on the next heist; er, I mean quest. It doesn't do the party any good to equally divide gold XP and have 1 character level instead of 3. 3 characters leveling means more people likely survive the next adventure and have more power on it, and everyone gets more gold XP the next time.

Yes, this is an example of how 1E encourages metagaming. And I think the game is better for it.
I don't think any of that has anything to do with metagaming. Treasure = XP is a proxy for Goal Achievement = XP, in a game that assumes the goal of the PCs is to gain treasure. It counts as experience all of the things that you do in order to achieve that goal that are not measurable under 1e. The mechanic encourages players to have the same goals as their characters. That is not metagaming.

Getting XP from combat, when combat is what your character is improving at, is also not metagaming.

Pseudoephedrine

Should be playing D&D instead
I'd print off the appendices in the back no matter what they were playing. Stuff like the dungeon generator, dungeon dressing, random lists of herbs and trap ideas are all really good. Personally, I have basically no interest in AD&D 1e beyond those, and wouldn't use it to teach new folks. My recommendations for new folks coming to the hobby are mostly to pick up OSE / Red Tide / Yoon Suin and try something using those (then get the Crimson Pandect and An Echo Resounding once you need them).

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
Most people I know would say dividing treasure based on who would level as a result, instead of equally or based on what characters did in the adventure it was earned, is metagaming. If others don't feel it is, that's fine too. But I can't carry that definition outside of this conversation because I'd had way too many people declare it was. So I'm happy to simply own the label.

Beoric

Right. The AD&D DMG
Most people I know would say dividing treasure based on who would level as a result, instead of equally or based on what characters did in the adventure it was earned, is metagaming. If others don't feel it is, that's fine too. But I can't carry that definition outside of this conversation because I'd had way too many people declare it was. So I'm happy to simply own the label.
You are right, that could be metagaming, although I could also think of various in-game justifications for it depending on the split, especially if you use the training rules. If the PCs are levelling because of training, having extra cash to pay training costs is a reasonable proxy.

I note a DM could also cook the training costs to account for this; making training cost more for characters who did less to level is at least as fair as assessing it based on how closely the DM thinks they adhered to their alignment. So they level faster because they spend more tie and money on training, and you have associated the potentially dissociative mechanic.

Johann

*eyeroll*
I have lost all stomach for fighting. EOTB is right, both here and in the parent thread, when he questions the point of criticising a system one doesn't personally need or play. Dangerous Puhson was (and is) carrying a torch for 5e, which is different, and is doing so surrounded by old-school gamers, which is pretty amazing. I think you guys are a merry, witty and gracious bunch.

I apologize for my attack on AD&D. It was uncalled for. The game obviously sings for some people and that is enough to give it relevance. When people are still using something as old as AD&D, I should assume there are good reasons (and maybe ask about them in the spirit of learning).

Beek Gwenders

*eyeroll*
Funnily enough, the book that I think provoked this dispute - the AD&D 1e DMG - is IMHO the one that it's hardest to make the case for being "obsolete" because so many of the appendices at the back remain useful even if you're not playing D&D, and are hard to obtain in a single volume outside of the AD&D 1e DMG.
A recent video on this topic:

Beek Gwenders

*eyeroll*
Even worse for those that wish AD&D would fade away --- us old folk are playing it with the next generation...so there's that too.
Yes. As far as D&D and its variants go, my kids will be exposed to old school versions first (or nice retroclone at least); they can make their own decision to play other other games on their own. 3e and later are not D&D to me, they are just a house rules version put together by a corporation that have the D&D name on the front because WotC owns the IP. I’m sure they’re fun if they’re your sort of thing, but when I play a non-D&D fantasy game I would never choose these over anything like DCC. Aside from all the other cool things in DCC, it cements itself firmly in the collective ‘fantasy consciousness’ of Appendix N, is unmistakenly old school in its character creation process, character power levels and deadliness. A much, much better offering than 5e in my book.

gandalf_scion

*eyeroll*
I have lost all stomach for fighting. EOTB is right, both here and in the parent thread, when he questions the point of criticising a system one doesn't personally need or play. Dangerous Puhson was (and is) carrying a torch for 5e, which is different, and is doing so surrounded by old-school gamers, which is pretty amazing. I think you guys are a merry, witty and gracious bunch.

I apologize for my attack on AD&D. It was uncalled for. The game obviously sings for some people and that is enough to give it relevance. When people are still using something as old as AD&D, I should assume there are good reasons (and maybe ask about them in the spirit of learning).
Best to continue the honesty.

"Dangerous Puhson was (and is) carrying a torch for 5e, which is different, and is doing so surrounded by old-school gamers, which is pretty amazing."

That's not accurate and he's not amazing. 5e already has a bonfire; it's far more popular than 1e. He's not carrying a torch. What he's doing is deliberately throwing fire crackers at a harmless OSR community to instigate the kind of arguments/fights you suddenly eschew. Nobody here hates 5e. Nobody here is trying to convert anybody from 5e. Nobody here is excluding DP. He, on the other hand, relentless attacks early editions because he enjoys instigating fights (online) where none need exist.

DangerousPuhson

Best to continue the honesty.

"Dangerous Puhson was (and is) carrying a torch for 5e, which is different, and is doing so surrounded by old-school gamers, which is pretty amazing."

That's not accurate and he's not amazing. 5e already has a bonfire; it's far more popular than 1e. He's not carrying a torch. What he's doing is deliberately throwing fire crackers at a harmless OSR community to instigate the kind of arguments/fights you suddenly eschew. Nobody here hates 5e. Nobody here is trying to convert anybody from 5e. Nobody here is excluding DP. He, on the other hand, relentless attacks early editions because he enjoys instigating fights (online) where none need exist.
Still pissy over that design contest, eh gandalf? You take shit way too personally, and these kind of sleights against me are getting pretty damned tactless.

Plus Johann's 100% truthful in his statement - I am carrying a torch for 5e, and I am doing so while surrounded by old-school gamers.
Where is he wrong?

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Slight segue here talking about the XP for GP thing:
I'm running Barrowmaze, modding it on the fly for our 3.5e characters. We're having a blast.
I told them that we'd be deriving XP from treasure and less of a % from monsters slain. So far that's been working out alright.
But here's the thing, these guys have been staggering back to town under the weight of these 1e-sized hoards (yes I'm being a stickler about encumbrance in this regard). They're 3rd-4th lvl PC's and they've got a fortune they could realistically expect to retire on. They are literally going to destroy the economy of the humble village of Helix. How the hell am I supposed to keep the PC's from tooling up with all the best equipment, buying property and generally pushing the local authorities around. I expect this crap at name-level, but not this early on!
Is there a 1e mechanic for bleeding PC's of their cash that I've forgotten?

Johann

*eyeroll*
I think DP can be said to carry a torch for 5e given the old school environment. I'm impressed that he puts up a good fight but keeps up his spirits despite being dogpiled on. I suspect he likes it that way and you cherish him as a foil. :)

Beoric

Slight segue here talking about the XP for GP thing:
I'm running Barrowmaze, modding it on the fly for our 3.5e characters. We're having a blast.
I told them that we'd be deriving XP from treasure and less of a % from monsters slain. So far that's been working out alright.
But here's the thing, these guys have been staggering back to town under the weight of these 1e-sized hoards (yes I'm being a stickler about encumbrance in this regard). They're 3rd-4th lvl PC's and they've got a fortune they could realistically expect to retire on. They are literally going to destroy the economy of the humble village of Helix. How the hell am I supposed to keep the PC's from tooling up with all the best equipment, buying property and generally pushing the local authorities around. I expect this crap at name-level, but not this early on!
Is there a 1e mechanic for bleeding PC's of their cash that I've forgotten?
IIRC, the admonition was to find creative ways to separate PCs from their cash. I don't remember all of them, but training is expensive. 1000 to 4000 gp per character level, each time you level, no levelling up until you have trained, which takes 1-4 weeks. Its pretty easy to justify in 3e; how are they learning new feats or gaining class features if not from training? You could just make the cost of training be the difference between expected wealth by level, and what they are actually taking out of the dungeon, and be done with it.

Also, taxes. The local lord levies a hefty tax on loot since the dungeon is on his lands and it his resource.

Also, inflation. They have made the locals rich, but there are the same number of goods to buy. Add a zero to the cost of everything.

Also, moving the campaign. The PCs can't buy much in the sleepy village, and can't sell their gems jewelry and art objects there for anything like their value, and can't find tutors high enough level to train them. Wizards can't find new spells, or spell components. They will have to go to a metropolis to unload their hauls and find equipment.

Also, laws. If your setting is feudal, they can't buy land, they obtain it by becoming vassals of either the local lord or the king. Who, under the circumstances, may charge a hefty price. Plus fines when the PCs inevitably break the law.

Also, criminals. How are they storing all that loot? Is it on their person at all times? All the money they are throwing around is attracting rogues and scoundrels. When they sleep with the local farmgirls, and wake up to find a bag of rubies gone, what are they going to do about it?

Also, tough monsters. Many monsters in older modules were willing to let the party go in return for large bribes. 20-200 bandits plus high level leader types can also be persuasive.

The whole flavour was easy come, easy go. It was so easy to get so much cash, in theory the players weren't too pissed when they lost it all and had to start again.

EOTB

So ... slow work day? Every day?
They're 3rd-4th lvl PC's and they've got a fortune they could realistically expect to retire on. They are literally going to destroy the economy of the humble village of Helix. How the hell am I supposed to keep the PC's from tooling up with all the best equipment, buying property and generally pushing the local authorities around. I expect this crap at name-level, but not this early on!
Embrace it.

Here's a good blog post describing just letting it play out.

The Heretic

IIRC, the admonition was to find creative ways to separate PCs from their cash. I don't remember all of them, but training is expensive. 1000 to 4000 gp per character level, each time you level, no levelling up until you have trained, which takes 1-4 weeks. Its pretty easy to justify in 3e; how are they learning new feats or gaining class features if not from training? You could just make the cost of training be the difference between expected wealth by level, and what they are actually taking out of the dungeon, and be done with it.
Yes, training was a BIG deal and quite expensive. It was meant to be the big money drain. I didn't realize that until later.

It also had a considerable effect on the development of the game. Ed Greenwood would often write that into his fluffy histories for his new magic items when he wrote for Dragon. The positive reaction his articles were getting were why TSR ended up buying the Forgotten Realms from him.

(OTOH I suppose you can blame the Forgotten Realms partially on the cost for training, which is one more hit against it)

The1True

My my my, we just loooove to hear ourselves don't we?
Here's a good blog post describing just letting it play out.
Holy hell, I was like 'bla bla bla tl/dr' and then bam it all tied up in this beautiful little bow at the end! Nice link!
I keep dreaming I'll get resource management to work one of these days, but I always end up chickening out in the end. Time keeping and book keeping require a great deal of commitment and diligence that my group doesn't really have. And. I'm going to shoot myself in the foot and say it; 3e (and I suspect subsequent versions) provide too many shortcuts. Although, to be fair, there were bags of holding and most magic weapons had a 30' radius glow that did away with serious encumbrance and resource problems in 1e as well...