SQART

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
I was thinking along the lines of the Eye of Venca (i.e. do I half blind myself and stick this thingy in my head?) --- but I like your version better! :D

The serendipitous element that emerged effortlessly was how miserable the fella looks (to me). I think my own mental state while drawing it contributed to that. It was caused by the hardest part of the whole exercise---getting the figures to look like they were putting some weight on the table. Finally constructing a proper perspective grid helped.

Crazy.

Last edited:

squeen

This one is a rather distorted figure --- almost to the point of caricature --- which looks anime to me. It was an exaggeration of a sketch from a blog post comparing site-size vs. construction methods by the Society of Figurative Arts. I still think it's not hateful a whole week after I drew it...so it goes out to the world. Mildly racy in a 1950's pin-up sort of way, so I've hidden it behind a spoiler tag.

Tropical Island Figure

The straight lines in the silhouette against curves of the face and hair are what interests me. It's been quite a journey to get my figures to bend a twist a bit too. Small win.

Last edited:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I failed Squeen...havent been able to have a clear head, sit down, and draw. I wont rattle off excuses..I have several legit ones, but I feek like I need a few hours to watch some lessons before kicking in a short daily practice, but Ive been busy! I came back to boss and Director of Finance leaving and I may need to be temporary big boy honcho--I should of stayed in the wilds...plus doing Operation Valhalla--building a medieval homestead...and MM stuff. Oh hell, rattled off excuses....I feel like a flake, but it WILL happen.

squeen

What would life be like without guilty and failure? You've already taken the first step in becoming a "tortured artist"! :)

It will happen (or won't) if/when the time is right. No worries.

squeen

More David Malan inspired face-practice. He worked from a photo. I worked from his sketch (because I admire his clean hatching which I think could translate to ink).

Last edited:

squeen

I bought a Japanese brush pen which arrived yesterday and did a little experiemental doodle.
It seems to dictate it's own drawing style.

Last edited:

squeen

This is more inking exercise for me to get a feel for the brush pen. I combined it with technical pens this time. This image was based off of Ian Baggley's excellent Deep One pencil sketch. I think he illustrated the Lovecraft story and really has a flair for these creatures and nailed the anatomy to a tee.

Last edited:

squeen

I've been making some VTT tokens for EOTB's OSRIC engines in Foundry and Fantasy Grounds. I've run out of spare time recently, but here are the few I've managed to finished.

They are intentionally 1e AD&D in style.

Monsters (orc, goblin, skeleton, zombie)

Humans (fighter, cleric, magic-user, bowman)

Things have been awfully quite here, so I thought you all might like to play around with these. I'm hoping I can get back to production on this early in the New Year and hit on a few more of the staples.

Last edited:

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I've been making some VTT tokens for EOTB's OSRIC engines in Foundry and Fantasy Grounds. I've run out of spare time recently, but here are the few I've managed to finished.

They are intentionally 1e AD&D in style.

Monsters (orc, goblin, skeleton, zombie)

Humans (fighter, cleric, magic-user, bowman)

Things have been awfully quite here, so I thought you all might like to play around with these. I'm hoping I can get back to production on this early in the New Year and hit on a few more of the staples.
These look fantastic!

squeen

Thanks @Malrex. The top-down perspective is not an easy (or flattering) one in most cases. Uncomfortable!

Last edited:

squeen

Trying not to let my art-muscles go entirely to pot in a hectic New Year. All of my "free" time right now is going to game-prep while the kids are on holiday-break (as is proper).

A quickie 20-minute layout in pencil:

Last edited:

squeen

This one slipped out. I really don't have time to be doodling. David Coleman gets credit for the wolf that I thought I could "copy in 10 minutes". Ha!