Post Mortem & Results

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
We've managed to remain on good terms all these years despite our differences. I guess I'm wondering what locally has been bugging you (PM me, if you like).

Beoric

It was more a comment on the irony of declaring that people don't say offensive things, while saying an offensive thing in the same sentence.

Beoric

So what's the difference here? I mean reviewers like Bryce and Prince are pretty clear about their predilections. But for some reason I'm more prickly about edition warring here. Like, cool bro, enjoy your oldschool. I like it too. But, liking what you like doesn't require rejecting other editions in ways that are guaranteed to either start a fight or drive people away from these open forums.
There are a lot of people who play a lot of editions here. It has become, through some happy accident, a pretty safe space for respectful, cross-edition discussions about play.

Which may be part of why it is so quiet; once we realized we mostly agree with each other, and had developed a consensus on a lot of aspects of play, there was a lot less to talk about.

squeen

Ok, how do you not see that indicating you are offended by the "fact" that someone else's preferred edition is "twisted" is, erm, a tad unwelcoming? At least an unpleasant rejection, although the violence of the rejection may be in the eye of the beholder.
It's sort like walking into a pub and telling them their local team "sucks" as a conversation starter. Most folks will take that mild provocation in stride, and are self-assured enough in their "brand" to take that as a friendly (but real) rivalry.

In my opinion (and in this case I think I am on the old-school non-geeky/normal side), anyone who gets seriously offended is more than a bit socially maladjusted. Folks who are that easily "triggered" are not mature adults and just large infants. Society makes a big mistake trying to coddling the most easily offended in the crowd (by silencing the majority) instead of telling them to just deal with the fact that not everyone agrees with them in the big, bad world. Thicker skins. Sticks and stones...etc.

Fight me.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I guess if you establish a happy little echo chamber like say K&K, then interlopers shouldn't feel butthurt when they don't like the language that's going around. I was duly warned while signing up, and stopped immediately. No harm done.

So what's the difference here? I mean reviewers like Bryce and Prince are pretty clear about their predilections. But for some reason I'm more prickly about edition warring here. Like, cool bro, enjoy your oldschool. I like it too. But, liking what you like doesn't require rejecting other editions in ways that are guaranteed to either start a fight or drive people away from these open forums.
Well...there is edition warring, but that doesn't hold a flame to candle compared to the Paladin Wars.....

Bawahaha