Patterns of Design

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
In one of our last games before breaking for college, my son used divination-magic to determine that one of the three remaining bags of holding left in existence was somewhere in the underground caves beneath a waterfall. The cue was too vague to locate it exactly, but once inside he used a polymorph-potion to turning into a kangaroo mouse and start exploring. A one point, he found an unused side tunnel that lead downwards and immediately headed that way---it was the correct decision for what he sought.

When I asked him later how he knew which way to go, he replied: "The best magic is almost always in the deepest, forgotten, and most dangerous parts of the dungeons."

I think he's got me figured out.

Last edited:

TerribleSorcery

Should be playing D&D instead
Your son's gambit is 99% the correct move. The only time it could go wrong is when he chooses that "This passage leads away from the dungeon, deep into the underdark, DM fill in on your own time" turn off!

squeen

8, 8, I forget what is for
Makes me want to make a few of those stairways that (only) slides you down into a flaming pit, like in B1. :devilish:

Too far down that path, and you are thinking like the designers of the Egyptian Tombs. Dead-ends and deathtraps everywhere.

TerribleSorcery

Should be playing D&D instead
Well, yeah. He had a nice success by following a simple rule of thumb. Now he must graduate on up to bigger challenges. Do a Dark Souls, and give him a very similar situation where abiding by that rule will lead to instant death.