Lair Contest

Interested in something like this?

• I detest the very notion of this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Commodore

*eyeroll*
The success of Bryce's Wavestone Keep contest results/No-Artpunk has me thinking that there's a lot of potential talent hungry for feedback; I think more than a $100 reward or a physical copy of a module, the primary motivator for me at least was the critical reviewing. There's no real shortage of opinionated old designers here, I was thinking of a forum contest where potential writers submit lairs/small dungeons:
-Small enough to stumble on in a hexcrawl or a city, call it 8-16 keyed locations.
-The location nonetheless has a story to it, with potential hooks/rumors, and would make a satisfying night's D&D session.
-Page limit of 10 pages including maps.
-At least one map, if using someone else's must be legal to use in a publication.
-Must be for some system, not "statless".

These submissions would be judged and most importantly reviewed with at least a solid page of reviewing, like Bryce or Prince or Melan manage. A pool of interested volunteer judge reviewers from the forums could be engaged; they'd be welcome to submit to the contest as well but they obviously can't judge their own work. Selection of the top 8 adventures would be ranked choice, which then get bundled into a free product on DrivThru, published under a creative commons attribution license (so it can be shared, but credit to to writers). This is similar to how the One Page Dungeon did it, iirc.

If Malerex or one of the bigger publishers here wanted to sponsor this that'd be fine, otherwise I'll just publish it as a free product under my label. I'll be happy to judge and write reviews.

Grützi

Should be playing D&D instead
Love the idea.
I have a hilariously bad track record of finishing stuff... but I would love to take part nonetheless ;)
Even If I don't finish something I can still judge :)

Beoric

8, 8, I forget what is for
I would love it if this happened, and only wish I had the time to contribute in some way.

I would also love it if people discussed/sought opinions on their drafts here while they were working on them, since I find those discussions to be among the most enjoyable on this site.

Commodore

*eyeroll*
I would love it if this happened, and only wish I had the time to contribute in some way.

I would also love it if people discussed/sought opinions on their drafts here while they were working on them, since I find those discussions to be among the most enjoyable on this site.
That would be great; feedback and polish throughout every part of the process would be the ideal.

Malrex

So ... slow work day? Every day?
I'm learning a new layout program and not comfortable yet in jumping in to help due to the nightmare I just had with Peril in Olden Wood (which, the update is almost done). But I fully support this idea. I may be able to help with judging/review if people want---but that means I won't participate in discussion if people are getting feedback while they write. Might not be the most shiniest trophy, but I'm also happy to throw in a free Merciless Merchant adventure or two for a prize (2 for 1st place and 1 for 2nd place...winner's choice...) if that's of interest. I'd like to participate in a submission, but man, I'm busy with a lot of other things right now.

Could we make it an optional 12 pager if people use their own art? Always love the art....

Osrnoob

Should be playing D&D instead
Bump bump bump

Lets make this happen!

What makes a good lair and can it be a one "room" monster cave?

Lets go Brycians