1.21 Describe based on action intent Rewrite: 1

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
I'm using room, etc fantasy terms, but it applies to other genres also

No backstory or motivations in main text, only what you need to run an adventure right then
What is relevent, directly and immediate relevent

this feels like it belongs somewhere else

Last edited:

bryce0lynch

i fucking hate writing ...
Staff member
This sounds obvious, but, it's critical for the rooms text to actually be related to the focus of the room. If the focus of the room is to have chandelier that can drop on the group then the writing should be focused on that. This serves two purposes. First, it makes it easy for the DM to find the information they need. Digging through a description of all of the minutia of a dining room in order to find the phases related to the dropping chandelier, during actual play, slows down the DM. It makes it harder for them to find the information they need to run the game. Taken to the logical extreme (I wish it were the logical extreme, for many adventures do this ...) if the chandelier trap was built by Fred then this is not the right place to put in the description of Fred, his like, dislikes, wants, goals, and full life history.

The main focus of the rooms design should remain the main focus of the text describing the room. The sideboard in the room is not relevant to the chandelier problem and need note be mentioned except perhaps in passing. Unless, of course, it's related to the chandelier issue.

The application of this principal goes beyond rooms. When describing the barkeep the focus of the description should be their interaction with the players, plot, etc. What is directly and immediately relevant to supporting actual play within the context of the barkeep, inn, etc? This is the focus of the barkeeps writing. It doesn't matter that he was an orphan raised by the former owners of the inn. Unless that detail is directly relevant to the adventure then it should not be included. All it does is distract from the DM from running the game during play.