Search results

1. Johann

Basic Character Pregens

Yes, yes, yes! It's always nice to have henchmen -- they are like redshirts in may ways, i.e. their frequent demise drives home the point that the game is dangerous. So your 5th-level fighter survived the hellhound's breath. Guess what? Every henchmen in the area of effect is *toast*. Save for...
  2. Johann

Basic Character Pregens

Yep. Swords & Wizardry Continual Light takes it even further - a +1 at 15 and beyond and that's it. No higher bonuses and no penalties at all. Lovin' it. As for the original problem, I suggest ready-made equipment packages ('The Spelunker', 'The Outdoorsman' etc.). Pick one, and off you go...
  3. Johann

Mechanics Cross-Pollination Thread

Let us know some juicy tidbits! Wacky plans, powerful items, number of resurrections, homemade monsters!
  4. Johann

Advise on Running G1

Looks fine to me. The scouting sounds plenty tense and as Beoric pointed out, chances are something will go wrong eventually. And if it doesn't: congratulations. I should note I also assumed the party might stretch into the wee hours of the morning - I rolled for it. IIRC, I rolled every hour...
  5. Johann

Muster: a friendly primer to old school D&D

I dislike the campaign specificity -- number of henchmen to bring, procedures to open a dungeon door etc. -- and criticised this during development. My understanding is that Eero wants to provide specific examples or baselines (which certainly has its benefits). For instance, declaring that...
  6. Johann

This allows players to spot and seize opportunities to score major points. Finding a short-cut may be anti-dramatic, but is deeply satisfying! (The famous combat-as-war rather than combat-as-sports metaphor might be appropriate here.)
  7. Johann

Many GMs do this, but I don't think Eero is advocating this in Muster. First, XP need to be anchored in the fiction, whether that's 1 XP for 1 gold piece or 10 XP per six-mile hex mapped etc. Hence, no rewards resting on the judgement of the game's participants (whether that's the GM deeming a...
  8. Johann

Eero Tuovinen has finally finished writing Muster - A Primer for War. Advice for playing D&D the wargaming way! It is available for free at DriveThruRPG. (It's technically pay-what-you-want so you can tip him, but he's made it clear at DriveThruRPG and elsewhere that it's free and free to...
  9. Johann

Castle Xyntillan Campaign

That's rough. And an integral part of the game. Kudos to all of you for keeping it real & playing for meaningful stakes -- this sounds like an awesome game! Grieve and remember, then pick yourselves up (which you already have). Godspeed!
  10. Johann

Sword & Sorcery Adventures and Campaigns

I think you're on to something. Beautifully put!
  11. Johann

Sword & Sorcery Adventures and Campaigns

Older versions of D&D do fine in this regard, as fighters get one attack per level against mooks. And later on, Cleave enables slaughter. (Oops. Point has been made. Shoulda finished reading the thread.)
  12. Johann

Let's talk about Barrowmaze

Sounds great! I ran Barrowmaze many years ago and have nothing but fond memories -- it's a great module!
  13. Johann

SQART

The latest one is especially awesome! The wind and dynamic posture are great & the background is properly cliched without drawing undue attention (i.e. it immediately brings a certain classic vibe but you refrain from adding a few more suns and spaceships, as, for instance, the newer Star Wars...
  14. Johann

Best mini-dungeons?

Just took another look at Archaia. There seem to be around 50 dungeons of wildly varying size. Most don't look particularly exciting, but they are certainly a cut above randomly generated ones (though random seeds may be the basis, perhaps, there are some connections between the denizens, e.g...
  15. Johann

Best mini-dungeons?

Excellent advice. I've already played through Barrowmaze, but I might indeed cut up Forbidden Caverns of Archaia -- it's even more suitable for that (as is Highfell, but I don't need wizards' towers but more whimsy). Any pointers on other material you consider especially suitable for cutting up?
  16. Johann

The state of Post-OSR content

Pics or it didn't happen.
  17. Johann

When my grandma came into my room, I'd ask "Granny, should I turn down the music?". She'd always go "What music? The only thing I can hear is a loud buzzing noise..."
  18. Johann

I like this angle. Even a slightly more critical portrayal of the Jedi Order would have been a perfect fit (Yoda's arrogance, Qui Gon Jinn's defiance, Mace Windu's lack of faith in law and order etc.).
  19. Johann

The plot of Ep. 2-3 is actually decent, at least in terms of its ambition and general outline. Not just a reboot in disguise, but taking it to the next level (political, urban etc.). It took Ep. 7-9 for me to appreciate that. :sick: That said, almost everything else is execrable. I'd be game for...
  20. Johann

I agree 100% regarding the Star Wars movies. I also envy you, as you apparently stopped watching after Ep. 7. I want my $30 and four hours of my life back for Ep. 8+9.