Search results

1. Maynard

Hack Feedback

Roll for the galaxy and Kings of Tokyo are really fun off the top of my head!
  2. Maynard

Hack Feedback

One of the design goals is to have all resources apparent - everyone at the table can see everyone's dice pools.
  3. Maynard

Hack Feedback

Because it's written with compatibility with b/x modules in mind (at least for one shots) I'd still like your insights on where I've erred.
  4. Maynard

Hack Feedback

Players roll under their str or dex for melee and ranged attacks respectively. There are some fiddly edge cases, but they aren't stuffed into this player facing cheat sheet. If the target is particularly strong the gm asks the player to add the difference between their HD to the roll. Some...
  5. Maynard

Hack Feedback

I put together this little hack recently I'm rather fond of. I'd love your feedback!
  6. Maynard

5e - why you think it sucks, and why you're wrong

There's some survivorship bias inherent in situations like yours. If all the players you're interacting with have a 20+year relationship to the game, their gripes with it are unlikely to be structural. They bought into the premise years ago and now all that's left are course corrections. If any...
  7. Maynard

The developer issue is a market one, not a totalitarian one. There's simply more sales to be won with these changes than lost. Osr grognards who don't like change won't buy 6e books anyway. At some point the only vote WOTC understands is a wallet. The slippery slope reactionary impulse is...
  8. Maynard

You've got it backwards. It's not about intentionality or design. This is a user feedback issue. It's valid for someone new to the hobby to interpret racial subtext when they play and reject the game going forwards. It's valid for communities of players and developers to realign their games to...
  9. Maynard

[Kickstarter] The Coming of Winter, but let's talk about something else...

I am excited for the kickstarter! Looks great I love that artist. I have done social media advertising for work before, growing a twitter account from 0 to 20k followers, building a discord & youtube channel, etc. I don't think I have time (or the inclination) to do it all again but I'm happy...
  10. Maynard

Itch.io vs DTRPG

In my experience itch.io is better than dtrpg in almost every aspect but they don't offer print on demand. I think dtrpg probably has a higher top end if you have a good product and a big marketing budget. Never worked with lulu or exalted funeral but I think EF is the easiest path to indie...
  11. Maynard

Seeking Feedback: Usability

We can be forgiving in this instance since it's a contest specifically to showcase the system. But this is a great idea and if you rerelease this for general audiences definitely implement it.
  12. Maynard

Seeking Feedback: Usability

So, I understand there are lots of compromises here because of the page restriction. There are many places where additional whitespace would be appreciated but would not fit. I'm sure you are already aware. I think If you were to redo it it could be in 10-12 pages comfortably. Entry 6 is a good...
  13. Maynard

SQART

Big shout out to Squeen for this amazing cover art: https://davidmaynard.itch.io/the-folly-of-the-fox
  14. Maynard

Feedback Thread: Maps

It's inspiring to hear about the campaigns with your kids. It sounds awesome!
  15. Maynard

Why Assassins are awesome!!!

Squeen is just very emphatically stating his preferences. I don't think he's intending to imply that you're not allowed to enjoy something different.
  16. Maynard

When it comes down to it, if the PC's do all the leg work to make a crazy plan that kills the boss NPC and it doesn't go horribly wrong... I'd just let the guy die. I don't really feel like a table needs to come into this. I love cockamamie schemes that's basically what I build my games around...
  17. Maynard

Honestly, What does the assassin supply that the thief cannot do? What does the assassination table provide that sneak attack doesn't? Everything associated with assassins: Poison, guilds, etc are just window dressing imo.
  18. Maynard

Criteria: Evocative-Terse continuum vs. Rorschach for the referee

I just finished my grad school semester. Won't start again until the fall so I should have some stuff to talk about. Here's a nice discussion topic for you guys: Which classes do you tend to play with in your games? I like keeping things simple with just the original 7 from basic, then I tend...
  19. Maynard

D&D Therapy

Unfortunately they suppress this in almost all penitentaries and county jails in the US. They deny dice because of "gambling risk" and acquiring rulebooks is next to impossible for inmates. I volunteer for a nonprofit that sends books to prisoners upon request and they're always asking for the...
  20. Maynard

D&D Therapy

D&D is used extensively in childcare for these same purposes. It's a safe haven for many kids at hospitals, libraries, community centers, schools, etc.