Search results

1. R

Teaching an RPG writing class, looking for example adventures

PM Me, and I will gladly send you a link to my Scourge of the Demon Wolf adventure. Which is designed to be run as a sandbox adventure. And has this review by Bryce https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=1307
  2. R

The state of Post-OSR content

Thanks for the shout-out. I hope it is received well. Rewriting and editing my old posts into a single book allowed me to make the whole thing flow a lot better than the original. It is by far the most popular post on my blog. Despite the first one being up since 2009, it still gets thousands...
  3. R

The state of Post-OSR content

No you can't copyright the idea behind the rule only its expression. And if the expression of the rule is so obvious even that may not be copyrightable. However the problem isn't the rules of D&D. The problem is that hundreds of terms that make D&D, D&D may be in of itself a creative expression...
  4. R

Shadowdark

What Shadowdark reminds of the most in terms of complexity is The Fantasy Trip/Melee/Wizard. I suspect in the long run the niche it will carve out of D&D will be similar to what the TFT niche enjoys today. Except it being D&D based will make it far more approachable.
  5. R

Shadowdark

I played it and refereed and it works. While I will stick with my Majestic Fantasy RPG for my stuff and campaign for the most part. I can see how to do most of what I do in a campaign with Shadow Dark. The trick, for me, is that Kelsey has a formal way of using ability checks in the Shadowdark...
  6. R

OGL 1.1 = old school tactics

There isn't a 1.2 deal. What happened is that Wizards said they are no longer mucking around with the OGL 1.0a by trying to reauthorize it. And they released the SRD 5.1 under the Creative Commons license specifically CC-BY. The only requirement for using its content is putting Wizard's credit...
  7. R

GP=XP

Since this topic has come up again. I will say that I disagree with this assertion by @bryce0lynch My alternative for gold for XP, is a form of milestone awards. The difference I have from traditional milestone award systems is that the goals are set by what the players do and focus on. There...
  8. R

Good "Wizard Tower" adventures

Thanks and let me know how it goes. Just remember nothing exists in a vacuum. Specifically that the folks living in Badabaskor are aware of many things about the current state of affairs. Information that explains why Duke Cragen just doesn't go tearing through the lower levels despite the...
  9. R

Apologize for being a bit snarky but yes they would be easier in AD&D as Badabaskor is a OD&D module. Even characters made with OD&D + Supplements would have an easier time of it than 3 LBBs character. However in my experience with running Swords & Wizardry and Majestic Fantasy RPG (which is...
  10. R

I didn't work on that one so I can't say. Sorry. But the old Necromancer Games forums are still up so you may be able to search the Judges Guild section for a review. As it was still active an a hot spot for Judges Guild talk at the time. https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/necromancergames/
  11. R

Making a Module using ChatGPT

The good news is that it is a major idiot when it comes to anything else other than pattern recognition and creation. Think of it as the ultimate random table. But what can do is learn the patterns you feed it and spot inter-connections that even you are not aware of.
  12. R

Jimmy Cricket! How do I get a private instance of this that doesn't lose its memory? I could feed it all my setting information and it would spot patterns and interconnections that I have forgotten about or failed to spot. (sigh). I plotted out the outline of a ridiculously large map for my...
  13. R

Conclusion it was useful although I would never use the result 'as is'. They were too verbose and generic. But they often contain a kernel of an idea that I found as a useful prompt for what I will ultimately write. It is also a bit time-consuming to use as I have to think about the correct...
  14. R

Me: Settlement 1234 Rob's Note:This was a mistake but it was interesting to see Chat GPT make use of it. On the southern slope of the Burning Tors live a group of Mages from the Order of Thoth studying the Burning Tors and the Fire Elemental that live in around the mountain range. Create a...
  15. R

Next there are two locales, a lair at 0836 and a settlement at 1234 ======================================================== Me: Using the Dungeons and Dragons monster manual, create for me a lair of monsters in the Burning Tors. (discard) Using the Dungeons and Dragons monster manual, create...
  16. R

Me: The Burning Tors are a desert mountain range in the middle of the Forsaken Desert. To the north lies the deep canyon known as as Ironedge Chasm, and to the southern are the vast dunes of the Forsaken Deserts. Create a unique description of the Burning Tors based on the above description...
  17. R

So in the midst of writing of my Into the Majestic Fantasy Realms there are a few entries I got stuck on and put off detailing them until had an idea. I have a small suite of random generators to act as idea generators and aides, but their results can get repetitive and thus fail to inspire me...
  18. R

It is Citadel of Fire in name only. The author used the opportunity to publish his own original adventure speaking as somebody who was part of the development team. The 3.5 Dark Tower was a straight conversion of the original, while my effort, Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor was an extrapolation...
  19. R

A Historical Look at the OSR

What I do to organize things is that only one thing has to be continually reworked and that is the actual plan. The personalities, motivations, and overall goals change much more slowly. When it comes to locales, I try to flesh the location out enough that it functions as a place within the...
  20. R

A Historical Look at the OSR

By 1990, I learned that running a sandbox campaigns works fine with folks who want to do nothing more than roleplay a version of themselves with the abilities (and sometimes knowledge) of the character they play. The only hard and fast rule I found to make what I do work is that the player still...